How the hell do you get usable sounds out of a ring mod?

Mr.Kickass

• Members

I have the Moog, and I have it set so the frequency generated by the modulator is close to the original frequency, so I have a slightly wacky vibe-ish sound going on. The cool thing is I can move it up or down, so it can be detuned slightly (or a lot) if I want to. I am working on converting my EB VP jr so I can do this while playing. I'm also going to connect my PEEP into one of the exp outs when I get the parts for a couple of TRS cables.

I haven't used it much, but it is the only modulator on my small board so I'll have to get to know it more.

c

• Members
ok, ok. i get it. a lot of people dont like them- im probably included in that group. i figured id give it a fair shot and maybe get some input from someone familiar with them.
:rolleyes:

They are mental....

I love my Ringstinger BUT it is very much a piece of insanity. Plug other things into it....MAGIC!

You will piss all the cats in the locality off!

:wave::thu:

• Members

Playing a Ring Modulator is like playing guitar. Some have a thing for it, others don't. Try using the CV control and Mix to have a little ring mod behind your guitar sound and move the CV control to change ring mod pitch as you play. If the Ring mod has a Carrier Input plug any sound into it, like say a drum machine playing a pattern. Then the internal VCO is replaced with the sound of the Drum pattern. As you play guitar your playing ring moded drums and changing the drum sound pitch. Try singing or screaming into a ring mod. I done it all through a Lovetone Ring Stinger and it's great fun! :)

• Members
Playing a Ring Modulator is like playing guitar. Some have a thing for it, others don't. Try using the CV control and Mix to have a little ring mod behind your guitar sound and move the CV control to change ring mod pitch as you play. If the Ring mod has a Carrier Input plug any sound into it, like say a drum machine playing a pattern. Then the internal VCO is replaced with the sound of the Drum pattern. As you play guitar your playing ring moded drums and changing the drum sound pitch. Try singing or screaming into a ring mod. I done it all through a Lovetone Ring Stinger and it's great fun!
:)

:thu: :thu: :thu:

Archived