I need a higher gain OD pedal to go with my Sparkle Drive!

New Trail

• Members

I really like the SparkleDrive for a low gain OD, but sometimes I need something with more gain. I don't want buzzy distortion, but smooth overdrive, maybe Santana-ish. I'm using a Mesa Boogie V-Twin right now but I don't really like it and I want to upgrade. I'm thinking MI Audio Tubezone or Fulltone OCD. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

• Members

I also use a Sparkle Drive for my lower gain tones. For some higher gain OD tones I'd recomend:
BJF Baby Blue - fat, Fat, FAT and suuuppperrr smmooooottthh. Also stacks very well with the Sparkle Drive: Baby Blue -> Sparkle Drive = Paint Peeling Distortion

Menantone Blue Collar - I don't know why this isn't a more popular pedal. It's never been off my board in over seven years or so. With tone and presence controls it can be dialed in smooth or with a little more bite and edge. Either way it sounds great!

Butler TubeDriver = Uber expensise, BIG and AC only, but plug in to one and you'll know why it's a favorite os such tone meisters and Eric Johnson, David Glimour, Billy Gibbons to name a few.

• Members

The Sparkle Drive is a Tubescreamer with a clean blend added.

That's true, and they're both good pedals. I have an original TS-808, original TS-9 and TS-10 and I prefer the Sparkledrive for the clean blend feature. I vary the amount of clean depending on the situation and gig.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived