Best overdrive/Distortion under 50$?

sheepeH

• Members

I've played most of the pedals mentioned.

Some other ideas - are you handy with a soldering iron? If so, it is an easy DIY project to put in an op amp chip socket in a $10 (new) Arion Tubulator and try different op amp chips, which are very cheap (under $1 each and free from TI). There are also many easy mods for a Boss SD-1, which can be had for under $50, especially used.

Behringer makes several inexpensive dirt boxes as well - some new ones now coming out.

If durability is important, especially for gigging purposes, I would go with a Boss SD-1 (has more gain) or Bad Monkey (has less gain). Most other inexpensive pedals mentioned have plastic construction and/or input/output jacks attached directly to circuit board. These pedals have to be pampered.

After years of gigging with everything from $10 Arion to $200 boutique OD pedals, I've settled on reliable Boss SD-1 (modded). Works with most amps, has gain to spare, has many mods available and has rugged construction.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Alot of people are mentioning the Dano FAB series, and I agree. Just remember though, be careful with it. I dropped mine once and it never worked again. :cry: But still, if you take care of it and all, the cheap $15 bucks distortion can sound like $100.

• Members

The DS1 is ok stock. Not great. I got one used and then dropped another 25 bucks for a mod kit from Monte Allums and now the thing sounds great. I'd put it up to just about any other box. In all, I spent about 53 bucks.

• Members

Alot of people are mentioning the Dano FAB series, and I agree. Just remember though, be careful with it. I dropped mine once and it never worked again.
:cry:
But still, if you take care of it and all, the cheap $15 bucks distortion can sound like $100.

did you ever open it up to see if something happened like a solder joint came loose or a fuse broke or something of that? Something simple like a wire breaking from it's joint could have occurred too.

Archived