U2 Streets have no name delay: how??

• Members

He Uses TC 2290 Delays, pretty expensive, any delay should get you there though. His sounds more in the tone, really bright, jangly tone, and from that the delay will sound good. Pretty high mix, tempo to match song etc etc.

• Members

A good close approximation would be to get an Echo Park and set it to dotted 8ths and tap quarter notes.

+1

I think part of your issue isn't finding that bright tone, but it's having the right delay setting. You don't need an Echo Park or any tap tempo delay, actually, but it makes it easier. Just set it so that your delay's tempo is 3/4 of the tempo you're playing in. For instance, if The Streets was 100bpm, set your tempo to 75bmp.

In my old band, pretty much every time I used delay, I was using dotted 8th notes. It adds a whole new atmosphere to your playing with a delay pedal. I'm getting off topic, though...

• Members

On a DD3, you can easily find that dotted eighth rhythm by setting it to the "L" mode with the delay time at 12:00.

Play steady quarter notes on an open string with your right hand, and turn the delay time knob with your left hand slowly until you hear the delays lock in. I can dial in a dotted eighth in a few seconds this way.

• Members

yup. the dd2/3 can get close---you just need to get the settings right.....

try this:

effect level - between 4:00/5:00

feedback -1:00 to 2:00

delay time - 11:00 ish

Long mode

depending on how fast you play it---that should get you close to start.

• Members

it's not easy to get the sound exactly as Edge uses 2 delays, one very short and the main sound which is 350ms on the record.

I'd go for:

350ms time

Feedback - 11

Mix - 3/4

That should get you pretty close.

I knew it was two delays but didn't know the values. Good stuff!

• Members

Funny this thread came up. Last week we tried out a new bass player. We've been doing Streets for a while now. When I told him we wanted to try it out with him, his expression said it all. Apparently, he's seen a ton of bands screw this up at weddings and such. When we were done, he was flawed by how we sounded and now we can't get rid of the guy. Here's how I did it;

Edge uses two delays on many songs, but on streets, he uses one (as per the edge), this is more obvious during live recordings. If he's used two delays, the second delay, is set for more of a slapback echo to get a more ambient sound, not so much a repeated or delayed sound. The slap back going in front of a regular delay does sound cool, but most importantly, Get the rythm down. Do a search on here, there's some clips of someone playing the song with delay and without. That was a big help for me. We do the song in my band. I use a DD-20 set to modulation setting at 365ms. Set the effect level high, about 4-5 o'clock as stated before, so the first repeat is as loud as the picked note. You want 4-5 repeats on it, so set the feedback up. The dd-20 sets this to a dotted eigth note and the modulated setting and the bridge and middle pickup position on a strat gets you amazingly close. The final touch? A compressor so it doesn't all sound like mush. I use a tone press although Edge used a Boss CS-2 on the recording. If I'm playing where I can get the volume up on my amp where's theres a bit a compression, then compressor pedal is not usually needed. So basically, that's how I get the sound.

But, to do this on any old guitar and a simple boss delay or danelectro, is not as hard as you would think. Remember, the most important part of this is the getting the strumming down. If I find the link, I'll post the clips. But at some point someone will beat me to it.

• Members

:rolleyes:
Yeah, sorry, I've heard he uses two delays on quite a few tunes, sorry this wasn't one of them... Not the biggest U2 fan but I dig Edge's technique.

:thu::D

Quit Pickin' on me!!
:mad::D

:thu:

Not picking on you, per se...just people who keep telling everyone that you need two delays to sound like The Edge. It just isn't true!

Most people turn on two delays and play the songs wrong and say "you need two delays to nail the sound." One delay + the right technique will do in almost every case.

• Members

I know you're not man just messin with ya! :) You know how it is you hear the old guitar player urban legend and everybody runs with it. Just like eddie doesn't really use 5150s or vai guts his legacies and puts the bogner extasy guts inside. It's hard to shut down the rumor mill

• Members

I know you're not man just messin with ya!
:)
You know how it is you hear the old guitar player urban legend and everybody runs with it. Just like eddie doesn't really use 5150s or vai guts his legacies and puts the bogner extasy guts inside. It's hard to shut down the rumor mill

Too true...

:D

• Members

On a DD3, you can easily find that dotted eighth rhythm by setting it to the "L" mode with the delay time at 12:00.

Play steady quarter notes on an open string with your right hand, and turn the delay time knob with your left hand slowly until you hear the delays lock in. I can dial in a dotted eighth in a few seconds this way.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to musical terminology, yet I'm a huge delay fiend.

To put it simply......if I want a dotted eight do I set my delay to be twice as fast as my playing ? eg. if I play steady notes on open E every 500ms then my delay should be set to 250ms ? Correct ??

• Members

I'm a complete noob when it comes to musical terminology, yet I'm a huge delay fiend.

To put it simply......if I want a dotted eight do I set my delay to be twice as fast as my playing ? eg. if I play steady notes on open E every 500ms then my delay should be set to 250ms ? Correct ??

A dotted note is 1.5x as long as the same note length without the dot.

So if you were playing an quarter notes at that speed, the dotted eighth would be 375ms.

• Members

I should clarify my remark. The DD2/DD3 (the delay the OP asked about) doesn't have a readout in milliseconds. The easiest way to do it is not with a formula, but by ear.

12:00 on the delay time dial in long mode on the DD3 is in the neighborhood of 300ms (assuming the delay time pot is linear!) For most typical rock tempos, no more than a 25% twist of the knob in either direction will lock in a dotted eighth rhythm provided you know what it's supposed to sound like. It's just a rule of thumb I use for the DD3.

So what I do is play steady quarter notes in the tempo I want to play in while slowly changing the delay time. When it's locked in, I stop. The explanation is probably more complicated than the actual practice.

• 12 years later...
  • Members

Hi all. I have played this song before ok I'm not brilliant but it was passable. You can work out the delay by simple maths. Streets is 127bpm divide the tempo by 45.000.You should end up with your dotted eighth note delay at 365ms. The bpm is the usual live performance tempo. 

Archived