Good Dist. Pedal for a Solid State practice amp?

• Members

I picked up a Keeley/Boss DS-1 to put in front of my Vox Pathfinder 15R. Turns out this pedal ain't so great on it's own in front of my amp, the only way I could get it to sound good was if I put my Bad Monkey in between it and the amp. Would be kinda nice if I didn't have to do that.

I was thinking of maybe getting a Keeley/Boss MT-2 Metal Zone instead, since I'm looking for more of a hard rock/metal distortion. My local "Snooty Asshole Guitar Boutique" has one that I can probably get a good trade on. But, before I do that, any other suggestions?

• Members

thats going to be tough. most distortion pedals sound harsh and 'buzzy' with solidstate amps. i guess maybe try to find something that sounds dark, then it might be tolerable w/ a ss amp.

id not remmend a metalzone, thats notoriously buzzy sounding, even with a nice amp. even modded its just a more expensive peice of crap.

:)

• Members

I'd suggest a compressor as well as two dirt boxes. With those three elements you should be able to set up a couple cool gain stages. Obviously, some boxes sound better than others, but the principles of stacking gain stages remains consistent. An inspiring sound IS attainable for not much money, despite many prevailing attitudes around here.:thu: I don't know that you'll be able to get what you seem to be looking for with just one box. You've got to try and recreate what happens in a tube amp with pedals slightly over driving each other.

• Members

Some might laugh, but I really like my Behringer Vintage Distortion pedal when i used my Cube 30 amp. It is a copy of the Big Muff, or in that range. It is a very quiet pedal, almost no extra noise. I also like it boosted with a Bad Monkey, so you could try that. Hell at $29, you don't have much to lose. Or try a EHX Little Big Muff for $66.

• Members

I had a crummy SS fender and to get bedroom level metal sounds I used either a Metal zone or Jackhammer with the Boss EQ after. The EQ was key to getting a decent sound. For a cheap dark distortion the Tbone from DanElectro works great for me, $20.

• Members

i agree with a couple of people ahead of me, a jackhammer, can get you a pretty good sound, and the guv'nor gets you a pretty nice marshall in a box sound for cheap. Be warned though, both of these pedals take a little time to get used to their EQ'ing settings.

• Members

For metal and hard-rock sounds you should try the Digi-tech Grunge pedal. I love this pedal and I think the only reason it isn't a big seller is because of its name. Just give it a try and judge for yourself. It is also easy to find for 50 or 60 bucks.

• Members

Try the Digitech DF-7. If you use the mixer output,you get a speaker/cab simulation with each distortion model. This can get rid of that buzzy sound that dirt pedals often have with ss amps.

{censored} this suggestion. the df-7 is complete balls. feel free to try it, but mine was garbidge and i don't think anyone should have to endure what this pedal puts out.

Archived