guys, can you recommend noise pedals?

• Members

it seems to be a genre everyone thinks they can play simply by asking which pedals they should get. i want to make this kind of music what pedals do i need? how about what skills? what music is good to listen to? no, just gimme a list of pedals because i can't be bothered to research it myself and i'm away!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

it seems to be a genre everyone thinks they can play simply by asking which pedals they should get. i want to make this kind of music what pedals do i need? how about what skills? what music is good to listen to? no, just gimme a list of pedals because i can't be bothered to research it myself and i'm away!!!!!!!!!!!

While I see your point, you have to realize this is a forum dedicated to effects pedals.

• Members

at least someone is on the ball...or are you?

• Members

at least someone is on the ball...or are you?

Yeah, I see your point, but I can also see how other people could've interpreted this as a legitimate thread. Obviously, folks have to go out and experiment and make crazy noises on their own and all, but sometimes, it's cool to hear how other people approach it.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

• Members

Yeah, I see your point, but I can also see how other people could've interpreted this as a legitimate thread. Obviously, folks have to go out and experiment and make crazy noises on their own and all, but sometimes, it's cool to hear how other people approach it.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

i think it's just funny that it always seems to be about noise and/or ambient. of course we're always going to ask how a particular pedal sounds or can you get this sound or does it fit in well when you play this kind of music - but so many people just seem to hear noise/ambient and think 'i'll have a bit of that' while having no clue what the music is even about. they just expect a list of pedals they can buy that will instantly turn them into a noise musician. it's not that easy!

• Members

i think it's just funny that it always seems to be about noise and/or ambient. of course we're always going to ask how a particular pedal sounds or can you get this sound or does it fit in well when you play this kind of music - but so many people just seem to hear noise/ambient and think 'i'll have a bit of that' while having no clue what the music is even about. they just expect a list of pedals they can buy that will instantly turn them into a noise musician. it's not that easy!

Point taken. It would be cooler if people listed settings or how they're using the pedals, but something's better than nothing, eh?

• Members

Here are a few things to get "started":

--Tweak your existing pedals. Turn the knobs all the way up on one pedal (note: watch the level control on your overdrive/distortion), see what comes out, then start moving around the settings and see what kinds of crazy stuff you can come up with. Once you know and have a true feel for each individual pedal, you can start to think about how the effects complement each other in practice.

--Mix and match the order of your pedals. You can completely break the conventional "rules" of pedal order and do some wacky stuff. It's your gear; do whatever you want. Don't forget about standard-fare modulation pedals like flanger and phaser.

--A very common "noise" trick is to turn the feedback on your delay all the way up. It will drone almost endlessly. Try it with both with short and long delay times. Also, try rolling your delay time knob back and forth while you're going at it.

--Feedback! Use it. Roll the tone and volume knobs around on your guitar, and use with delay.

--Get an eBow. Period.

--Getting a pedal with a loop option is not a bad idea. (I use a Line 6 DL4.) You can loop a "noisy" part and then play over it... Or add more noise.

--Know your guitar. Do things to your instrument you wouldn't normally think to do. Try everything. As I read in an interview with Sonic Youth, "You'd be amazed at the variety of sounds you can make with a stick on your strings."

Bottom line... Experiment. And please be musical.

• Members

I am an actual gigging noise musician, and here's my advice: throw that guitar right in the garbage.

Little interesting noise is done with that old feedback-loop-through-the-beri-mixer-add-DOD deathmetal-meatbox-and -digidelay-with-masonna-ripoff-contactmic-shakerbox setup either. Get involved with people who are actually making instruments, such as Jessica Rylan and Peter Blasser. I know this thread was bull{censored}, but I'm just saying. The yellow swans guitarist doesn't have many pedals, just a crazy feedback mixing rig which rips his tone into spiky sheets.

Archived