Tonelab - THAT much better than past modelers??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks, bro! I just discovered the Tonelab Y! Group forum has a list of the amp models, and they list the US Higain as the SLO100 as well.

FYI, I didn't know what IIRC meant until I googled it. Since I'm in my mid 40s, I'll probably be using the acronym more!

-- JOe

• Members

OK, I suspect this isn't was supposed to happen.... but I was *much*

more pleased doing this than anything else so far with the Tonelab:

ToneLab Line out -> EQ pedal, slightly up mids, cutting highs -> 15

watt tube Pro Jr -> 2x12 cab

I also kept the cab sims off. Going Line instead of Amp threw the

blanket off the sound, and the EQ pedal smoothed out the harshness of

the Line mode.

This was MUCH better to me ears than going TL "Guitar" out straight to

the Pro Jr.

Cheers,

-- Joe

• Members

OK, I suspect this isn't was supposed to happen.... but I was *much*

more pleased doing this than anything else so far with the Tonelab:

ToneLab Line out -> EQ pedal, slightly up mids, cutting highs -> 15

watt tube Pro Jr -> 2x12 cab

the Line mode.

This was MUCH better to me ears than going TL "Guitar" out straight to

the Pro Jr.

Cheers,

-- Joe

If I'm playing through a great sounding amp I just use the ToneLab for the effects (amp and cab sim off).

The ToneLab is so easy to tweek on the fly!

The EQ pedal is a good way to go! :thu:

Too bad Vox didn't put a global EQ in the ToneLab.

You could also put the EQ pedal in the ToneLabs effects loop. That might work well too?

If you try it, let us know how it works.

• Members

I briefly tried the "amp out" and didn't like it at all.

Choosing the "line out" global setting keeps things transparent.

You need to have the global setting at "line out" if you want to program a bypass channel (with nothing selected on the ToneLab). The desktop version might be different, but after A/B'ing this type of "bypass" setting and removing the ToneLab SE completely from the signal path, I found no discernable difference.

• Members

If I'm playing through a great sounding amp I just use the ToneLab for the effects (amp and cab sim off).

How do you turn the amp models off? I figured it out off for effects, pedals, reverb, and cab sim, ... but how do you turn off the amp models?

Come to think of it, I don't know how you bypass the whole ToneLab either. When you turn it off, the signal path is dead.

-- Joe

• Members

The ToneLab is so easy to tweek on the fly!

The EQ pedal is a good way to go!
:thu:
Too bad Vox didn't put a global EQ in the ToneLab.

You could also put the EQ pedal in the ToneLabs effects loop. That might work well too?

If you try it, let us know how it works.

I tried a MXR 108 10-band EQ in the loop on the ToneLab SE and it works fine.

• Members

How do you turn the amp models off? I figured it out off for effects, pedals, reverb, and cab sim, ... but how do you turn off the amp models?

Come to think of it, I don't know how you bypass the whole ToneLab either. When you turn it off, the signal path is dead.

-- Joe

You can turn off the amp and cabinet selections on the SE. I'm not sure if you can do that with the desktop version.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think the ToneLab desktop has an effects loop, full bypass, or amp on/off. But I've only had this a few days.... also, I haven't tried the Tonelab software editor, which I'm sure offer a lot more options and tweaking.

-- Joe

• Members

You can't bypass the amp models in the Desktop version.

The new LE has blobal 3-band EQ.

The best way I have found of using the Tonelab is directly into studio monitors or full range PA system.

The hi gain sounds are great so long as you keep the VR gain down, just as you would on the real amps.

I used to own a Marshall 30th Anniversary and previously a Boogie preamp amongst other things. I don't miss them.

READ THE F***ING MANUAL!

• Members

the Line mode.

This I find weird. I used to own a Boss GT-3, which also had a selectable output mode and the 'line out' setting threw a blanket ON, when using it via guitar speakers. (with the cab sim on)

The explanation behind it is for me quite logic;

guitar speakers cut out about 6-8kHz. Fullrange speakers go up to 15-16kHz.

So the 'amp out' will sound very harsh in a full range system, whereas a line out (compensated for full range speakers/headphones) will sound quite dull in guitar speakers.

So does the Tonelab work differently or did you mix them up by mistake?

I do know that changing the output setting to 'line out' would turn on the cab sims as well by default in the Boss GT-3.

Maybe using a Tonelab in the FX-return of a tube amp (+ a guitar speaker cabinet), with the Line Out setting ON, but cab sims OFF, will yield a better tone then setting the AMP output?

• Members

This I find weird. I used to own a Boss GT-3, which also had a selectable output mode and the 'line out' setting threw a blanket ON, when using it via guitar speakers. (with the cab sim on)

The explanation behind it is for me quite logic;

guitar speakers cut out about 6-8kHz. Fullrange speakers go up to 15-16kHz.

So the 'amp out' will sound very harsh in a full range system, whereas a line out (compensated for full range speakers/headphones) will sound quite dull in guitar speakers.

So does the Tonelab work differently or did you mix them up by mistake?

The Tonelab works differently. Seemed odd to me at first as I came to it from a GT-6 and before that a GX700.

I do know that changing the output setting to 'line out' would turn on the cab sims as well by default in the Boss GT-3.

Maybe using a Tonelab in the FX-return of a tube amp (+ a guitar speaker cabinet), with the Line Out setting ON, but cab sims OFF, will yield a better tone then setting the AMP output?

The Line/amp switch on the Tonelab has nothing to do with the speaker simulations. It changes the equalisation of the amp simluations to complement the equalisation of a typical guitar preamp. So if you are goining into the front of an amp, use the amp setting. Anything else, use the Line setting. At least, that's how Vox intend you to do it. Some folks like to use the Amp setting when it's not really appropriate, and wonder why it sounds crap without an external EQ boosting the highs and lows.

Like I said: read the manual.

• Members

I haven't tried the Tonelab software editor, which I'm sure offer a lot more options and tweaking.

-- Joe

The editor allows a little more tweaking of the FX, such as being able to change the repeat pattern in the multi-tap delay. Otherwise it does't add anything. It's an easy editor to use, but the Tonelab is so easy in itself that I never use the editor.

• Members

The editor allows a little more tweaking of the FX, such as being able to change the repeat pattern in the multi-tap delay. Otherwise it does't add anything. It's an easy editor to use, but the Tonelab is so easy in itself that I never use the editor.

I find the editor a must.

The tonelab has one very irritating thing, which is the use of absolute encoders for the value knobs.

You can never make adjustments to EQ or whatever without the value of the parameter being edited jumping to the current knob position, which I find extremely annoying.

If there's a way to see the values for the parameters without turning the knobs and changing those values (without the editor), I haven't found it yet.

They really should have used endless incremental encoders.

Other than that, it's a great unit. Great clean sounds, excellent univibe and pretty good wah.

• Members

I find the editor a must.

The tonelab has one very irritating thing, which is the use of absolute encoders for the value knobs.

You can never make adjustments to EQ or whatever without the value of the parameter being edited jumping to the current knob position, which I find extremely annoying.

If there's a way to see the values for the parameters without turning the knobs and changing those values (without the editor), I haven't found it yet.

They really should have used endless incremental encoders.

Yes, it would have been nice, and would have added only a little to the cost.

I don't have a problem with it, as you can always find the original, pre-edit positions from the display.

• Members

I gigged with Tonelab SE for more than a year (direct to board, no amp) and recorded an album with it.

I decided to try a conventional tube amp and pedal board and did so up until a week ago (about six months) and have concluded that the modeler yielded as good and in some cases better sound in the FOH mix.

I picked up the new Vox Tonelab LE a few days ago and have been madly programming since then.

It has some improvements. The extra expression pedal has been eliminated making it a more manageble size. I really can't imagine how one would use two pedals at once unless sitting down.

The annoying A/B selector has been eliminated. (total pain in the a$$ anyway)

The resolution rate is now 24 bit (vs. 20 bit with the SE)

A master eq for direct use.

A couple of new effects.

The sounds are HUGE. Clean and mildly overdriven tones are the best I've heard from any modeler and as good as most amps IMO.

And, it's full stereo. I connect via two DIs to the snake and on to the console. The PA is stereo and I pan the channels hard left and right.

The FOH sound is very impressive IMO.

• Members

Having owned the Tonelab LE for a couple of weeks , using in 4CM with my Laney and also having tried direct to PA , This unit is nothing short of amazing .

Used to own the Zoom G9 which was good but i this is easier to tweak easier everything and has more mojo .

Pleasantly surprised.:thu:

• Members

Having owned the Tonelab LE for a couple of weeks , using in 4CM with my Laney and also having tried direct to PA , This unit is nothing short of amazing .

Used to own the Zoom G9 which was good but i this is easier to tweak easier everything and has more mojo .

Pleasantly surprised.
:thu:

How are the Tonelab's hi-gain models compared to the G9?

• Members

How are the Tonelab's hi-gain models compared to the G9?

The Zoom G9 Fairs much better in the high gain department, but i think thats the market they are chasing.

However with the Zooms high gain patches e.g the diezel model, with the gain at zero it is still really maxed out if you know what i mean. you only need the gain level at about 1 other wise its just way too much. The Tonelab LE is more like a real amp.

Also trying to roll off the volume on ur guitar doesn't clean up as nice as the Tonelab LE.

Having spent more time with the ZOOM G9 i can honestly say that the tonelab is much more responsive to the guitars volume and also picking dynamics.

A big plus for the Zoom G9 is the EQ section excellent tone shaping capabilities..:)

Hope this helps.

• Members

The Zoom G9 Fairs much better in the high gain department, but i think thats the market they are chasing.

However with the Zooms high gain patches e.g the diezel model, with the gain at zero it is still really maxed out if you know what i mean. you only need the gain level at about 1 other wise its just way too much. The Tonelab LE is more like a real amp.

Also trying to roll off the volume on ur guitar doesn't clean up as nice as the Tonelab LE.

Having spent more time with the ZOOM G9 i can honestly say that the tonelab is much more responsive to the guitars volume and also picking dynamics.

A big plus for the Zoom G9 is the EQ section excellent tone shaping capabilities..
:)
Hope this helps.

cool, thanks for the info!

I'm shifting more and more from the super-high gain realm to medium/high gain stuff. Occasionally I want to play along with Death's "Leprosy", but it's more and more Judas Priest / Maiden / AC/DC and Ozzy what I'm playing along. I really need to try out the Tonelab LE someday soon.

Archived