Moog Liberation

• Members

Redundant if you already own a Mini.

Worth not much more than $500, has CV/trig output but no INPUT, so can't be MIDI'd easily. Bonus is the CV output is the sum of LFO modulation, pitch bend, and aftertouch.

I honestly didn't use it for much except for stage work, I used it on one song - Frankenstein. It is the weak sounding Moog of the bunch, not a very ballsy or flexible filter. VCOs won't go low enough in pitch for bass and with its weak filter it is not a very good bass synth. Leads aren't as creamy as the Mini.

SuitAndTieGuy owns my old one, he seems to like them.

• Members

the Liberation is a great synthesiser if you happen to vibe with it.

it's a ridiculous piece of {censored} if it's not your cup of tea.

where The Real MC might say it sounds "thin", i would say it sounds "directed." if you don't use the aftertouch it's not a very impressive keyboard.

if you're a seated keyboardist, you'll have to train yourself to use the wheels _backwards_, but you might (as i have) found yourself liking the pitchwise orientation of the ribbon.

here's an example of the liberation in dual-detuned saw solo mode: http://suitandtieguy.com/hinkley/theredsea_holiday_dnb.mp3 the solo is a couple minutes in.

and here's an example of a type of soloing which i'm prone to do: http://suitandtieguy.com/sounds/chile_bowl.mp3 the solo is about halfway in.

depending on how you like the aftertouch on your Andromeda, there's probably nothing you're going to get extra out of the Liberation. just because you'll have to pry mine out of my cold dead fingers, and that eventually i would like to have a closet full of them, doesn't mean it's a good synthesiser or that it's useful to you.

unless, that is, you feel the need to own a Moog Strap-On for emergency gigging purposes. it excels at that.

• Members

Isnt the Liberation similar to the Rogue?

Ive nearly nailed that sexy liberation solo sound in STG's coloopstomy on my Rogue, but not quite.

@Suit, do you have a rough knob layout for that sound that i could transpose to my rogue?

cheers

• Members

Ive nearly nailed that sexy liberation solo sound in STG's coloopstomy on my Rogue, but not quite.

@Suit, do you have a rough knob layout for that sound that i could transpose to my rogue?

okay so that's probably the most flattering thing anyone's ever asked of me but i'm afraid i can be of no help. it's not because i mind telliing you (for example if you had asked while i still owned my MS2000 i would have dumped it to SYX for you) but because those sounds exist at the moment and then they're gone.

the sound you hear is a very basic couple of sawteeth with OSC2 synced to OSC1. i always use aftertouch to control the pitch of the second synchronised oscillator. the vibrato is always from the wheel. the pitch bending is always with the ribbon.

i can tell you that i always use the "Klaus Schulze Minimoog setup" ... VCA EG at 0/0/100 and the filter EG at 3 sec/2 sec/100 with decay set to ON. these times are all approximate. the cool thing about this is that you can use the time between the notes to control the brightness of the sound. it's kind of hard to explain unless you are really familiar with KS's mini solos.

and that is the really funny thing, right? Klaus's minimoog solos are (along with Robert Fripp's guitar playing and Booker T Jones' organ playing) a primary influence in my synth soloing, but i prefer to use the Liberation!

ideally i suppose i'd have both set up. but for now i have the Liberation in a case waiting to be repaired and i use the Mini for everything right now.

and it's actually kind of sad to listen to Coloopstomy. there was a post on Matrixsynth today about Numerology, which is the sequencer used for everything i did in that period. i've spent so much time and energy (2.4 years at this point) preparing to sell synthesiser modules that along the way my entire studio has been dismantled and sort of reconfigured itself. the big double-wide rack that used to have the samplers, the processors, the synths, the mixer etc. now has in one half an Alesis HD24-based recording rig for recording the drummer and my organ playing, and in the other half has rack frames for MU and FU format modules, soon to also have MOTM and EU frames ... all for just testing metal fabrication and burning-in of modules. i've still got the S5000, D4, and the looping rig ... but they're in SKB X-racks (Looping rack and Sampler rack) ... all on shelves. nothing's set up to use right now. keyboards are all in their cases or on shelves.

i'd like to be making music right now but it's just not the time. i'm hoping that i can do well enough with this to rebuild my touring rig the way i'd like to see it ... i'd actually like to bloat a bit. more stuff = more possibilities. but i also want to cut my setup time from 3 hrs to 30 minutes. this requires some pretty heavy duty cases and a trailer. also it means never again playing somewhere which isn't handicapped-accessible. i've also got to decide what i want to do from here on out. i'm actually considering using all softies in Numerology, but actually increasing the number of performance instruments. i have to have enough hardware to play a show _without_ Numerology in case the computer goes south (Numerology just doesn't go south. i suppose it's theoretically possible, but i've used it live for 4 and a half years and it's never failed me.) and how to incorporate the Hammond? it's all so up-in-the-air.

speaking of Minis and bloat ... there's a Rhodes 54 i'd like to get soon. i think i can get it for real cheap. that would make a good stand for the Mini. ha.

Archived