paypal payments with credit cards

johnrambo

• Members

can i make a credit card payment thru paypal for something i purchase on ebay? do i have to clear the cash out of my account before it'll let me do this? i've got my eye on something ending soon but it requires payment due before i'd be able to transfer money over.

• Members

Yeah, you should be able to do it with no problem. When you are on the PayPal payment page after the auction, there will be something showing you the default funding source... which should be your PayPal balance... but under that, there should be a link to change funding sources, and credit card will be one of them.

At least that's the way it always works for me. But then again, I never have a balance in my account and I have to switch from my checking account instead of the instant funds transfer.

• Members

thanks. there's an auction ending tomorrow and payment is due within three days. it would take 4 days just to transfer money from my checking account and i wouldn't even know how much i needed anyways. this just seems like it would be much easier.

• Members

I'm pretty sure you can also use a combination of sources. For example, it can use whatever balance you have in your PayPal account and then back that up with either an instant transfer from your checking account or with a credit card payment.

In fact, now that I think of it, you may be required to deplete your PayPal balance before it will deduct any money from your CC or bank account.

The only time it takes any amount of time to get money from your checking account is when you are depositing funds into your PayPal account (i.e. not for the purpose of immediately sending it to someone else) or if you specify an 'eCheck' as a funding option (I honestly don't know what the eCheck thing is all about... it takes money from your checking account as if you were doing an instant transfer, only it takes a few days to complete as a paper check would).

• Members

If you have any money in your paypal account balance, you have to use that before you can pay with credit card. I like to buy stuff off of ebay using credit card funded paypal (more protection) so I clear out my balance before making a payment so that I can use my credit card.

• Members

No one else seems to care about following payment instructions. I require payment within 24 hours and a confirmed address, this never happens. Most ebayers disregard payment instructions, very rude. Nice to see not all are like that.

• Members

You can send a credit card payment at any time... no matter who it is going to and how they are set up. Whether they choose to accept said payment is another story however. But with eBay, any seller that opts to receive PayPal payments, must accept all types of payments that PayPal offers, including credit card payments. And any surcharge for the ability to receive CC payments must be built into the price of your item.... you are not allowed to tack on an additional 3% or whatever to the final selling price to cover PayPal fees.

• Members

Yeah, you can do the instant transfer thing. And like I said, I'm still not totally sure what the e-check is... all I know is that it comes out of your checking account like an instant transfer, but it takes a few days to process unlike the instant transfer. Other than that, I have no idea what its purpose is.

But all things considered, you shouldn't stress too much about the issue. As long as you take care of business with PayPal on your end in a timely fashion, you will be in the clear. Any delays after that point should only be of concern between the seller and PayPal... not you.

Archived