First synth luff

pighood

• Members

Started a lot later than a few of you. My first real synth was a Yamaha CS6X...

I see your Yamaha CS6X and raise 1 E-mu PK-6. :) My dad bought one for me my sophomore year of highschool because I was playing a lot of music, but always borrowing other people's gear. It was (and is... I still use it) a great starter keyboard, with plenty of bread and butter. Well, until you actually want anything piano or orchestral...:cool:

• Members

I guess I knew that would happen eventually, but it's a shame, anyway. It was a cool store, and one of the only things I liked about my short time with the Shenendehowans in the early nineties.

I was a little surprised that they were gone. I'd moved away from the Northeast in 86, but still go back to visit family and would drop in from time to time. I also remember when Drome Sound used to have a big store in Albany and another in Schenectady. Now the Albany store is gone and they've moved the Schenectady store to a really small place on Central Ave. Times have definitely changed.

It seems the music scene in the Albany area has sort of died out. Just an impression I get.

• Members

My first synth was a Minimoog which the original owner dropped down a flight of step. I paid $600 for it in the autumn of '73. The only real casulty of the fall was a broked D key. It, unbeknownst to me, was also owned by AJP ( my co-duoist) at one point, after I sold it in 1985 for $300.

Wes Taggart

Analogics

Sad story of a real dumbass move on my part. Bought it for $150 from the back corner of the local mom & pop store. I was in a big-hair 80s band at the time - my rig was a D-50, an Emax and a Juno-106 - and did not understand vintage analog (mostly the pitch stability issues and how it would need regular TLC). Sold it in frustration for.... $150. Oops.

• Members

Casio SK-1 , in 5th grade my friend brought his to school. He burped into it and played the burps back with different notes. I was amazed. I went home to tell my parents what I just seen and told them I wanted one right now. They thought I was an idiot.

• Members

20 years later while listening to by favorite music I was wondering what the hell is making THAT sound, "its in like every song". "Its a 303" they said. " But I have a 303 (MC-303 he he). When I finally got my hands on the real thing and was in control of it (sometimes it was more like it controlled me !) I was really happy. Especially playing live with one.

• Members

Juno.jpg

Was the things dreams were made of in 1985... I was a bit pissed off actually at the time; I knew nothing about MIDI and therefore didn't realise the 106 could be had for the same price...

I tried to sync a Boss drum machine to the arpeg and had no luck, so settled on a Korg DDM 110, god the music I did back then was so bad... just me farting around not knowing anything... tape bouncing on a Sony Walkman...

man.. how times have changed...

I managed to exchange the DDM and Juno 60 for a Casio CZ5000 which was just pure class back then... then it was JX8P, Roland S330, W30, Proteus, RD300s, Rhodes and then I was into the 1990s ;-)

• Members

>For this Pig, it was a dark and stormy night in 1982 and a chance encounter with the Realistic MG-1 set up on display just inside the door of the Radio Shack in Laurel Mall, Maryland. I was sideways impressed it could make these choo-choo noises, unlike the Casiotones I'd owned (never more than one at a time).

Same here Pig...:wave: In Nashville thoough. Harding Mall

• Members

Ensoniq ESQ-1. Picked it up at a pawn shop for $200 and still have it to this day. I made some of the most interesting patches on that thing, just programming by sound alone, before I knew what was what (the "proper" way to make a pad, bass, etc.) and my programming became more formulamatic.

• Members

My old Jupiter-8 circa 1981. Had bought the JP-4 before that but it looked rather too drab, and its keyboard range was not wide enough.

But the JP-8 was fabulous at that time, and looked/sounded really really good on stage!! Sold it cheap years ago, but fond memories remain. :)

Yes, times have really, really changed! Now starting over once more...

• Members

For me, I would be the Wavestation EX. It wasn't my first synth, but it was my first "good" synth, bought it used in '94. What's really funny is that I almost missed out on getting it. At that time, I had just received a $900 profit sharing check from my job and was really dead set on finding a used Wavestation. Couldn't find one anywhere in the local Swap Sheet, but I did find someone who was selling his Roland JV-80. So, I went over to the guy's house to check it out. Thought it sounded OK, but I really wanted a Wavestation. Well, it must've been pretty clear to the guy, since he actually informed me of a fellow musician around town who was selling his Wavestation EX for $800 new, still in box. Couldn't believe that this guy would miss out on a sale by giving me the info. Of course, I turned him down on the JV-80 to buy the Wavestation.

On a side note, the Wavestation was my first ever "clonewheel". It was part of my gigging setup(connected to the Leslie 25) for several years before I replaced it with the Hammond XB2. The B3 patch, "Vektor Organ" sounded really good. Great Leslie sim, several notches better than the XB2.

• Members

I remember Rush's Tom Sawyer was the song that made me interested in synths. I remember a seeing so many synths in stores in L.A. but I couldn't afford my own until I graduated from college about 10yrs later. Yamaha SY-35 Vector Synth was my first of many.

• Members

My first love...thats a hard one to answer.

I had a pair of cheap casios when i was in highschool (late 89~92). When I graduated, I lusted after a Yamaha TG33 (the casios had MIDI out..so I figured I was set...). I sequenced it with an Amiga 500 computer running Bars & Pipes Pro (I still think it was the best sequencer EVER). now *that* was love..

but young love is fickle. About a year later, I used money the government gave me as part of a pell grant to buy a Yamaha Sy85...and that was pure hot sex. I still miss it.

I bought a second hand TG33 recently, and now that I actually *know* how to program and what vector synthesis is, Im getting more mileage out of it then I did 15 years ago. maybe its time to pick up a used SY as well...

Archived