Bored with overdrive pedals???

johnrambo

• Members

I'm over it. I feel like i've been constantly trying out different overdrive pedals for a while now and not finding anything that i really like. i've tried quite a few and i'm always real happy at the beginning because it sounds new but eventually i'm just bored of it. Honestly i think i prefer a clean sound or an all out distorted or fuzzed sound. Anybody else ever come to this conclusion or am I going crazy?

• Members

i wouldn't mind trying out a mule but i feel i'd come to the same conclusion. there was supposed to be a tonefactor tourbox going around here but that seems to have gone under or at least i haven't heard anything recently.

• Members

It goes in waves for me. I don't get to have my amp cranking in my apartment, which is when some ODs really sound great. Depending on the level my amps are working at, I find that I have to adjust my settings (pedal, amp EQ, pickups, etc) constantly to find interesting sounds.

At a certain point, I think you get to a point where new pedals aren't so much a huge leap forward, but are perhaps lateral steps in getting different tones.

That said, I can always dig a nice clean or acoustic sound. That's not always the case with OD/distortion/fuzz, but when I go back to dirt, it's a beautiful thing. :love:

• Members

i've only just started getting into testing out overdrive pedals recently after about 10 years of playing.. my conclusion? they are pretty {censored}ing boring as far as effects pedal go...

i think overdrives are more for people who 'play' rather than people who like making sounds/noises. i'd sooner have multiple delays, phasers and auto-sweeping filters at my feet than half a dozen tubescreamer clones. but then, i can't play for {censored} :)

• Members
I'm over it. I feel like i've been constantly trying out different overdrive pedals for a while now and not finding anything that i really like. i've tried quite a few and i'm always real happy at the beginning because it sounds new but eventually i'm just bored of it. Honestly i think i prefer a clean sound or an all out distorted or fuzzed sound. Anybody else ever come to this conclusion or am I going crazy?

what kind of music do you play that prefer clean tone to OD/ dist/ fuzz?

theres only so much i like clean for and rockin' out sucks running clean. {censored}, even a lot of blues stuff sounds better with gain.:)

• Members

What amp are you using?

As much as I like using some overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals, I accomplish my favorite overdrive sound by running through my EHX Tube Blackfinger > EHX Graphic Equalizer > 1968 Fender Vibro Champ. Has anyone else thought that by the time you purchase a Hermida or Klon or whatever, you could've afforded a great tube amp with a great natural overdrive?

• Members

Perhaps, or maybe that's just your preference. What amp are you driving?

at the moment, an old marshall VS (but not for long), before that a Randall 2x12 SS, before that a yamaha thing. I'm going to buy a Laney VC30 in a month or two, so I might try an overdrive with that. It will be my first all tube amp and i'm pretty exited:)

• Members
at the moment, an old marshall VS (but not for long), before that a Randall 2x12 SS, before that a yamaha thing. I'm going to buy a Laney VC30 in a month or two, so I might try an overdrive with that. It will be my first all tube amp and i'm pretty exited:)

Ah, Laneys are excellent amps, from what I hear. Congrates!

I would say that overdrives definitely earn their bread and butter through tube amps. While I got them to work with, say, my Peavey Bandit or solid-state Crate, they really came to life with amps that have the tubes cooking.

I'd say revisiting OD's may be in order with the new amp. Then again, I hear that the Laneys have great gain as it is, so you may find that you won't need any other dirt. :thu:

• Members
Ah, Laneys are excellent amps, from what I hear. Congrates!

I would say that overdrives definitely earn their bread and butter through tube amps. While I got them to work with, say, my Peavey Bandit or solid-state Crate, they really came to life with amps that have the tubes cooking.

I'd say revisiting OD's may be in order with the new amp. Then again, I hear that the Laneys have great gain as it is, so you may find that you won't
need
any other dirt.
:thu:

yeah, thanks....I'm gonna get the matching extention cab the month after too. to be honest i'm looking forward to trying all my pedals through it, because i'm sure it will make quite a bit of difference to their tone......yup well looking forward to my New Amp Day, about six weeks I hope...just one of the benifits of giving up smoking:thu:

• Members
what kind of music do you play that prefer clean tone to OD/ dist/ fuzz?

theres only so much i like clean for and rockin' out sucks running clean. {censored}, even a lot of blues stuff sounds better with gain.
:)

i try to play a variety of stuff but lately a lot of spacey bluesy type stuff, somewhat "floydian" i guess. i like to loop a few layers together. i usually fingerpick some simple melody with some texture (phaser or tremolo) and then lay some lead stuff overtop (usually with a fuzz and a little delay). i'm not really sure the best way to describe it. maybe if i played a little more rocking stuff as you said i'd use one more but i just don't right now.

• Members

What amp are you using?

As much as I like using some overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals, I accomplish my favorite overdrive sound by running through my EHX Tube Blackfinger > EHX Graphic Equalizer > 1968 Fender Vibro Champ. Has anyone else thought that by the time you purchase a Hermida or Klon or whatever, you could've afforded a great tube amp with a great natural overdrive?

right now a blues junior which i'm hoping to replace in the near future with a DRRI or a Vibrolux or something. the bj is alright for playing at home but when playing with my friends its not enough, especially if i want to play clean.

• Members

You should try out a Tube Zone.

It has multiple gain stages so you can smoothly go from complete clean to a great distortion tone. Then get a boost pedal behind it for extra gain. I use a VT card from my ZIM.

I then use the TAR+ card for more hotrodded overdrive sounds.

Also...

...MAYO FOR DESTRUCTION! :eekphil: :phil:

• Members

Blues Driver with Monte Allums mod. Total spent =

As natural sounding as anything you'll ever use, as the volume knob controls the amount of grit--which is incredibly smooth BTW. It also packs plenty of bite if you need it.

• Members
i'm not really intersted in overdrive pedal suggestions. that wasn't my point.

Well, I don't really like that light overdrive stuff either. I don't use my VT card by itself anymore. It seems a bit buzzy. Thats why I like pedals that sound like distortion pedals but can clean up like an overdrive.

Just letting you know theres hope. :wave:

• Members

right now a blues junior which i'm hoping to replace in the near future with a DRRI or a Vibrolux or something. the bj is alright for playing at home but when playing with my friends its not enough, especially if i want to play clean.

If you like the overdrive tone of the blues junior, I recommend holding on to it to use for that purpose, and then buy another amp with more wattage to get your clean tones. Then, you can use an A/B/Y box to switch between your clean and dirty tones.

Archived