About to put my latest board together...

TeleMan1985

• Members

...when I get home tonight. I've downsized quite a bit, and will be selling alot of the cheap stuff I brought when I was first getting into this game and didn't realize that buying cheap, would probably mean buying twice, which in most cases, it indeed has done! I mainly play classic rock, a bit of blues, bit of modern indie stuff and a bit of metal. For the moment I have mainly settled on this line up:

Korg DT10 > Little Big Muff > BD-2 Phat Mod > DS-1 seeing eye / ultra mod > Box of Rock > Marshall Regenerator > TR-2 Tremolo > DD-20.

Would you add anything? Also would you keep anything off my scrap (Remove the 's' and you get a bit closer!) list below? Otherwise, it all has to go!

Danelectro FAB Chorus

Digitech Digidelay

Belcat Delay

2 Dunlop GCB-95 crybaby's

Bespeco Mono Volume Pedal

Korg DT-3 Tuner

Marshall Guv'nor II

Behringer Graphic EQ

Arion Tubulator

Zoom G1

• Members

mod and keep one of the wah's?

I have considered that, but can you really makes a pigs ear into a silk purse? It's not just the tone suckage. I hate everything about them - the sweep, the range. I was thinking just get a better wah, but the GCB-95 has given me a hatred of all of them. They just seem so tempremental, and in the end the pots wear out and they go all scratchy. I dunno...

• Members

Compressor, if you think you would need one. I have a few of your pedals, and I can't live without a full volume comp at the front of my chain, maybe it's just me

I have considered a compressor. I had a CS-3 once and hated it, but that's cus it is a crap pedal. I wish I had held onto it and got it modded now.

I'm presuming you don't use yours with dirt? What extra does it bring to your sound?

• Members

i'd keep the digidelay too, if i were you. and yes, mod a crybaby to true bypass and add a few extras to customise the tone to your liking.

The Digidelay is a reasonable pedal. Just not sure it would get used alongside the DD-20. Might be good for doing dual delays I suppose...

• Members

you can do cool stuff like run the digidelay in reverse or with a real short delay time and long feedback into a standard 400-600ms delay on the dd20.

it's cool for noisemaking, if nothing else.

Yeah that's true actually. Never thought of the possibilities there... :thu:

• Members

I leave my comp on all the time, it's a BYOC one and it's very subtle. It's more like a limiter. It lets chords ring out, and picking is a bit more pronounced. I used to have a dynacomp, but it was too squishy after a while. A good comp effects everything in your chain, especially delay.

• Members

I leave my comp on all the time, it's a BYOC one and it's very subtle. It's more like a limiter. It lets chords ring out, and picking is a bit more pronounced. I used to have a dynacomp, but it was too squishy after a while. A good comp effects everything in your chain, especially delay.

Right. So just something to subtly polish the sound off basically? That's worth thinking about...

• Members

If you're interested in a compressor, the Monte Allums opto mod for the CS-3 is meant to be pretty awesome. IIRC, the Marshall ED-1 is pretty good for about the same price as the stock CS-3. There's also the MXR Dyna-Comp for not much more money.

I'd add the volume pedal to the new board, as they're useful to have- if you don't like the Bespeco one, you could always replace it with a Dunlop or an Ernie Ball later on.

For the wah, pots are a necessary evil really, as all the opto wahs suck at the moment, IM(and everyone else's)HO. Consider a BYOC drop-in PCB to replace the one in the Crybaby. There's also a guy called Stuart Castledine at www.wah-wah.co.uk who makes drop-in replacement boards for wah wah pedals. Both worth a look, if you can solder. BYOC also have Dyna-Comp/Ross and Orange Squeezer compressors in their ever expanding catalogue, both worth considering if you're in the compressor market.

Edit: oooh! just looked at wah-wah.co.uk and saw their output buffer- same/similar to the Foxrox wah retrofit, only cheaper! Might need to get one to use with my BYOC frankenfuzz :thu:

Archived