The Labyrinth: An FX loop sequence selector

• Members

I just finished work on a dual output loop ordering pedal that allows 14 combinations of loop order (+ bypass) for 4 loops. I'm naming it "The Labyrinth." You can see it at the bottom of this pic. It does not shut off any of the loops like a traditional bypass looper, it just rearranges their sequence. It's very useful for experimenting with my EHX pedals.

Combinations

A>B>C>D>output 1 only

A>B>D>C>output 1 only

B>A>D>C>output 1 only

B>A>C>D>output 1 only

C>D>A>B>output 1 only

C>D>B>A>output 1 only

D>C>A>B>output 1 only

D>C>B>A>output 1 only

A>B>output 1 and C>D>output 2

A>B>output 1 and D>C>output 2

B>A>output 1 and C>D>output 2

B>A>output 1 and D>C>output 2

A>B>output 1 and A>B>output 2

B>A>output 1 and B>A>output 2

Bypass

Any suggestions on which effects I should put in each loop?

• Members

is this designed for a two amp setup?

i thought you had a multi-looper with a seek-wah style switching sequence between each loop going on! imagine the noise... "fzzzzswooshKCCHHdadadadadada"... or even "KCCHHswooshdadadadadadafzzzz"

• Members
This is interesting. Could you explain how the buttons work?

I built this so I could experiment with FX chain reordering without having to
unplug cables and power supplies. As we all know, a fuzz into a phaser sounds very different from a phaser into a fuzz, etc.

1054919503_200f8721ba_o.jpg

Combinations
A>B>C>D>output 1 only
A>B>D>C>output 1 only
B>A>D>C>output 1 only
B>A>C>D>output 1 only
C>D>A>B>output 1 only
C>D>B>A>output 1 only
D>C>A>B>output 1 only
D>C>B>A>output 1 only
A>B>output 1 and C>D>output 2
A>B>output 1 and D>C>output 2
B>A>output 1 and C>D>output 2
B>A>output 1 and D>C>output 2
A>B>output 1 and A>B>output 2
B>A>output 1 and B>A>output 2
Bypass

• Members
is this designed for a two amp setup?

i thought you had a multi-looper with a seek-wah style switching sequence between each loop going on! imagine the noise... "fzzzzswooshKCCHHdadadadadada"... or even "KCCHHswooshdadadadadadafzzzz"

Yes, this has 2 outputs; but only 6 of the 14 combinations use the second output. Still, that's more than an ABY box does.

What's a "multi- looper with a seek-wah?" That sounds :cool:

• Members

So it's an order changer basically?

Correct. Example of a basic setup:

A: MicroSynth

B: Big Muff Pi

C: Flanger Hoax

D: Deluxe Memory Man

Using the Labyrinth, you can footswitch between the following combinations:

MS > BMP > FH > DMM

BMP > MS > FH > DMM

BMP > MS > DMM > FH

MS > BMP > DMM > FH

and flicking the toggle switch down will allow you to footswitch between these combinations:

FH > DMM > MS > BMP

DMM > FH > MS > BMP

DMM > FH > BMP > MS

FH > DMM > BMP > MS

or break them up in stereo using the Mono/Stereo footswitch, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

hahaha awesome. I totally dig the Blue Memory Man... *tears in my eye*
I'm currently finalizing my artsy fartsy board. There's a little dark boost blues section VS the Synthy Nintendo section VS Industrial Flying KicK section.
Oh yeah then there's a funk organ section too... and I need 2 more pedals to compete the "project".

Ugh...CABLES CABLES CABLES!!!

• Members
hahaha awesome. I totally dig the Blue Memory Man... *tears in my eye*

I'm currently finalizing my artsy fartsy board. There's a little dark boost blues section VS the Synthy Nintendo section VS Industrial Flying KicK section.

Oh yeah then there's a funk organ section too... and I need 2 more pedals to compete the "project".

Ugh...CABLES CABLES CABLES!!!

:lol: The cables on my board are insane. I have friends who give me their broken cables to use as scrap parts so I can build my own. It would be too expensive otherwise. Stores charge more than $15 for a 1' cable :evil::freak:

I love your descriptions of the sections on your artzy fartsy board. What fx are you using for each? I got to know what an "industrial flying kick" setup is composed of.

The 4 knob DMM is not an easy box to work with. The repeats are really dirty, and I'm not yet convinced that an alignment will even fix that. I've heard that the SAD1024s are just dirty chips. But it definitely gets a 'vintage' echo. It sounds great when doing the staccato arpeggios (Edge, Gilmour stuff), but it sounds like mud when doing volume swells. I just bought a 5 knob DMM for cheap on eBay, and it is so much cleaner.

Archived