In Los Angeles on Sunday

object88

• Members

As it would so happen, I'm going to be in Los Angeles this weekend, and my Sunday will probably be open, at least in the afternoon. I'll be in Los Angeles proper (i.e., the city of).

So, any quality guitar shops in the area? I'm mostly keen on pawn shops and mom'n'pops; I've got two Guitar Centers within easy access, so chain shops aren't really of interest.

(Alternately, if you know of any interesting things to check out on the drive back from LA to the SF bay area, let's hear about that...)

I'll be leaving around noon Friday, so any suggestions need to come in before then! Thanks :)

• Members

Try McCabes or Truetone Music, both in Santa Monica. Not the cheapest shops, but great stuff. McCabes specializes in acoustics and is one of the oldest and best in town, but they have some high-end electrics. Truetone has both, but more equally divided between electrics and acoustics. Don't know much about the LA pawnshops. E-bay has pretty much limited the deals you can get at pawn shops IMO since most owners check the e-bay prices. I'm sure you must know about Schoenbergs over in Tiburon.

• Members

Looks like Truetone is closed on Sundays. Not interested in Acoustics at the moment, but if I get a chance, I'll swing by McCabes. I took a look at Schoenberg's website, and man, out of my price range! I'm looking for the bargain basements... ;)

Thanks!

• Members

Just a little bit about LA pawnshops.... you'll have to fend off tranny's to get inside them, then the {censored}ty gear they have will be double the prices on ebay. Have fun!

Who are you kidding? The trannies RUN the pawn shops.

• Members

West LA music (for recording and keyboard mostly)

Westwood Music (pretty good amp room and awesome acoustics)

Hollywood GC has an awesome vintage room

Mesa/boogie hollywood

Best guitar store is about an hour away in Riverside called Wild West Guitars.

Archived