Need Dist. box, High gain!!!!!!

• Members

I need a Really awsome high gain dist box. Something really flexable, and sturdy.

We got a new singer who is awsome, he wants to add some heavy stuff to our set lists (v. revolver, Ozzy/Sabbath, VH, Gnr, Thin lizzy, acdc etc). The problem is my rig is geared towards blues and classic rock;

64 Fender twin, or 65 pro with fulltone ocd, deja - foxrox octave - analog man 78 mxr phase and tube screamer - Tease wah - voodoo lab tremelo - visual sound chorus delay- With either a music man or wolfgang evh deal, a usa custom tele wolfgang hybrid, or p90 warmoth. (or sometimes a strat.......)

My buddy had a tone bone hot british, but it kept breaking. The only thing I can think of is a dr jeckyll mr hyde.

I'd like to turn the fender into a man eating Bogner extasy sound, no scooped mids but a fat as hell metal tone (Zakk, Slash, Eddie on fair warning like)

PLEASE DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx guys,

Pete

• Members

I need a Really awsome high gain dist box. Something really flexable, and sturdy.

We got a new singer who is awsome, he wants to add some heavy stuff to our set lists (v. revolver, Ozzy/Sabbath, VH, Gnr, Thin lizzy, acdc etc). The problem is my rig is geared towards blues and classic rock;

64 Fender twin, or 65 pro with fulltone ocd, deja - foxrox octave - analog man 78 mxr phase and tube screamer - Tease wah - voodoo lab tremelo - visual sound chorus delay- With either a music man or wolfgang evh deal, a usa custom tele wolfgang hybrid, or p90 warmoth. (or sometimes a strat.......)

My buddy had a tone bone hot british, but it kept breaking. The only thing I can think of is a dr jeckyll mr hyde.

I'd like to turn the fender into a man eating Bogner extasy sound, no scooped mids but a fat as hell metal tone (Zakk, Slash, Eddie on fair warning like)

PLEASE DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx guys,

Pete

Check out the Boss DS-1 with the Allums Tri-Gain Rectifier mod Here's a clip of it and a Metal Muff

From a previous thread...

The amp is a VVT Regulator (actually the prototype) single channel cathode biased 6L6 head putting out about 35 watts. The amp is adjusted for clean. There's an Alesis Nanoverb in the loop for a touch of 'verb. The speaker cab is a Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12. The mic is an AKG D2200s dynamic mic placed about 8 inches out and near the edge of the cone. I've found that method to pick up the low end better on the ported cab than the more traditional close mic methods.

The clip is broken up as follows, Allums modded DS-1 -> Metal Muff -> Metal Muff w/ Top Boost engaged -> DS_1 again.

It's not quite as evident in the clip as compared to live but the MM is much harsher sounding too me.

It also should be noted that both of these boxes can be tweaked for a wide array of tones but who's got time for that {censored} :-) I just set them up so that they were similar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=733763

• Members

Try the MXR Doubleshot. I ordered a "blem" one from Musician's Friend earlier this year, thinking I'd be disappointed and then send it back. I was very pleasantly surprised. This pedal covers a lot of ground sonically. From early 70's cranked Marshall all the way to modern high gain and all points in between. I'd say that the only drawbacks are that the two channels are voiced very differently, and you have to look for a used one, since they're discontinued. Also, the pedal's eq controls are really sensitive, which can be either a good or bad thing depending on how much patience you have.

• Members

I have a Rocktron Metal Planet that I like quite a bit. It's a bit of a misnomer in that yes, it can make some good metal sounds, although not too br00tal. But it is very flexible too. Dial back the gain, and you get more of a heavier overdrive sound. it has separate treble and bass, and two midrange bands that can really give you a wide palette of sounds to choose from. Two other things, 1) the volume is enormous. I usually have mine set low, but if you need a big boost, this will do it. 2) it is very quiet which is great, no unwanted hiss or distortion with this unit.

One other thing, it is not expensive. I found a used one on ebay like new for $50. Can't lose at that price.

• Members

Check out the Boss DS-1 with the
Here's a clip of it and a Metal Muff

The clip is broken up as follows, Allums modded DS-1 -> Metal Muff -> Metal Muff w/ Top Boost engaged -> DS_1 again.

Yeah, the modded DS-1 sounded a hell of a lot better than the MM. But they both still sounded "not so good".

Archived