Have an OCD, do I need an FD-2?

jippy

• Members

Simple question, probably a vast amount of opinions. I have a Fulltone OCD which I absolutely love, but have never tried or had any experience with the Full-Drive 2. I assume they cover some different sonic territory, but wanted to know if anyone owned them both and could provide some insights.

• Members
Simple question, probably a vast amount of opinions. I have a Fulltone OCD which I absolutely love, but have never tried or had any experience with the Full-Drive 2. I assume they cover some different sonic territory, but wanted to know if anyone owned them both and could provide some insights.

I did not care for the Fulldrive 2. I am probably in the minority with that thought as many people love it. You asked for simple so here goes. OCD.V 3 if used properly get's British/Voxy tones to me. The FD 2 to my ears is a glorified Tube Screamer. I will now duck and run!:D

• Members

The FD2 has less grit, less low end, more mids, and is smoother than the OCD. I prefer it over the OCD for a blusier tone. That said, I've gotten good low gain tones from the OCD as well. I use the OCD for higher gain, the FD2 for low gain, and both combined for lead stuff.

In the end, you have to let necessity be the mother. If you need a tube screamer type tone then the FD2 is a good one but there are many alternatives available. If you don't need a tube screamer type pedal then you probably don't want to waste your time with the FD2.

Archived