The Unforgettable Fire Thread

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

Its good to know i'm not alone in my good taste. i'm one of those kooks that likes unforgettable fire better than the joshua tree.

IMO, TUF is their greatest album by far.

Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno totally make this album - the textures, the dynamics, Lanois' guitar parts, the whole vibe.

I saw them on the JT tour at Wembley Stadium in 1987 - the TUF songs were the most dramatic and powerful stuff they did that day. It was amazing to watch a band hold 80,000 people in the palm of their hand like that.

• Members

god, I can't even play with other musicians if they mention liking U2

most irritating band of all time to my ears

LOL

I can relate from the other end of the spectrum - I could never collaborate with anyone for long who didn't appreciate U2, David Bowie, or The Beatles. I would reach a wall that would stifle me completely.

• Members

replace U2 with Pink Floyd and I am with you ;-)

but honestly, a song will come on the radio... i won't know it's U2, and out of the blue my mood goes from great to feeling totally bummed. Every {censored}ing time.

It's not really the music that bothers me, the playing is actually very decent... it's that douchey douchey vibe that Bono brings, oh my god that man makes me want to punch people in the face.

• Members

replace U2 with Pink Floyd and I am with you ;-)

I would definitely add Pink Floyd to The Beatles, Bowie, and U2 as another essential band to reference.

Not sure how I'd feel about Bono had I not grown up listening to him. Maybe I'd hate him too :idk: I think a lot of U2 fans my age who started by listening to the first 3 albums liked Bono because of his intuitive sense of melody, and the raw immediacy of his earlier singing style. I have to agree that his singing has become more contrived since Rattle & Hum.

• Members

I got shit for liking U2 when I couldn't wait for "War" to come out.

When "The Unforgettable Fire" was release those shit-slingers were

suddenly "fans for years" :thu:

Personally, this was U2's "Sgt. Pepper." I love Bono's voice in "Bad"

it was on the edge of raw and refined. The whole album exudes

emotion.

Oh...and I got to see this tour as well...mmmmm...yummy!

• Members

Great album!

About freshman year for me too. I still remember the feeling of putting the record on and listening - entranced - through the whole thing. The textures really got to me.

At that point, I started listening to Eno records from the library.

I think I'll go play it again now, thanks!

• Members
I have to agree that his singing has become more contrived since Rattle & Hum.

+1 everything up until then was pure, but as soon as Rolling Stone or Time or whoever it was dubbed them "Biggest Band In The World" and started w/ the Beatles comparisons, they lost it a bit. The first four albums plus the Red Rocks live album are among my favorites of all time.

Archived