Any Overdrives that accurately replicate a tube clipped waveform?

konsole

• Members

Hello there,

Any one know of any overdrive pedals that accurately replicate a tube clipped waveform? I'm wanting to know if there is already an an overdrive which can do this before I get my hands dirty and my breadboard full!

Thanks,

Rob.

• Members

Yes, I see what you mean. Frequency response and harmonic content are the key things here - it's all about getting those 2nd, 3rd and 4th harmonics in place. I think that the tube based overdrives could do it, if they ran them off of a higher voltage....

• Members

Ah yes, the Womanizer does look killer. I'm not looking into rack mount units really. I just want some inspiration before I have a crack at creating something that really does the "tube thing" well.

I've got myself a huge bag of different FET's which I'm about to start fiddling with to see if I can create some authentic tube tone :thu: I'm going to kill the Tube Screamer once and for all with this one ;)

• Members
Ah yes, the Womanizer does look killer. I'm not looking into rack mount units really. I just want some inspiration before I have a crack at creating something that really does the "tube thing" well.

I've got myself a huge bag of different FET's which I'm about to start fiddling with to see if I can create some authentic tube tone
:thu:
I'm going to kill the Tube Screamer once and for all with this one
;)

LOL!! Good Luck!, personally i'm not a fan of the Tubescreamer...whatever you do make sure it has more gain that that!!! :thu:

• Members

There are so many misconceptions about this subject. I expect a ton of distortion pedals come very close to some tube waveform (which one?), except the ones they try too hard to to make sound "smooth" like tubes, for which the waveform is too rounded. The tube sound has more to do with how the character of the input makes it through to the output (in this respect your triple overdrive may be advantageous), and how the distortion progresses dynamically.

• Members

Well, if you use a Univalve as a pre-amp, that does the trick. 100% real power tube saturation coming out at line or instrument level, with no need for a speaker load. That's what I do, with delay and 'verb after it and all. If you want to turn it into a pedal, you'll need a line selector, I guess.

That's not really the cheap route. Keeley, ZVex and a few other boutique manufacturers claim to have put the 'cranked stack sound' inside of pedals. I don't know how they perform.

• Members

There are so many misconceptions about this subject. I expect a ton of distortion pedals come very close to some tube waveform (which one?), except the ones they try too hard to to make sound "smooth" like tubes, for which the waveform is too rounded. The tube sound has more to do with how the character of the input makes it through to the output (in this respect your triple overdrive may be advantageous), and how the distortion progresses dynamically.

I'm looking specifically at 12AX7 type preamp waveforms (Sharp clipped at top, rounded at the bottom). I know what you mean - tube overdrive to me is all to do with those sweet harmonics, backed up with that similar clipping pattern.

That Blackstone page explains it well....

Archived