What's more useful - compression or EQ?

fist

• Members

I'm usually the kinda guy who just likes to play from guitar straight into an amp, but I was wondering if something like an EQ or compression pedal would give me some more tonal possiblities.

I really don't have much experience with compression, and I've always used the EQ on the amp, or even the tone knobs on the guitar to shape my sound; how necessary is an EQ pedal really is.

I want the absolute minimum amount of pedals, and for my setup to be as simple as possible without sacrificing too much, so are either of these pedals absolute essentials??

• Members

I'm usually the kinda guy who just likes to play from guitar straight into an amp, but I was wondering if something like an EQ or compression pedal would give me some more tonal possiblities.

I really don't have much experience with compression, and I've always used the EQ on the amp, or even the tone knobs on the guitar to shape my sound; how necessary is an EQ pedal really is.

I want the absolute minimum amount of pedals, and for my setup to be as simple as possible without sacrificing too much, so are either of these pedals absolute essentials??

I don't see how you can compare the two for 'usefullness.' I find them equally useful, but they have very different effects on a sound wave. How much do you know already about what they do?

• Members

How much do you know already about what they do?

compression- raises low frequencies and brings down high ones so the signal is more compressed.

EQ- emphasises certain frequencies..i think.

^^ yea, but sometime you don't know what you're missing.

• Members

compression- raises low frequencies and brings down high ones so the signal is more compressed.

EQ- emphasises certain frequencies..i think.

^^ yea, but sometime you don't know what you're missing.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Compression/

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Equalization/

Have you seen these already?

• Members

I wouldn't say either of these pedals were "absolute essentials"

I quite like a compressor on clean sounds, it can make the sound more full sounding and make your guitar seem more alive without adding overdrive. I think if I played clean more I would use one all the time.

an eq is a handy thing to have sometimes, but not essential unless you need it for a specific purpose, scooping mids, boosting mids for solo's, cutting a certain frequency...etc.

if you are fairly happy with your sound then it isn't essential, but if you play clean a lot I would definatly try a good compressor especially if your guitar lacks a bit of natural sustain.

• Members

I wouldn't say either of these pedals were "absolute essentials"

I quite like a compressor on clean sounds, it can make the sound more full sounding and make your guitar seem more alive without adding overdrive. I think if I played clean more I would use one all the time.

an eq is a handy thing to have sometimes, but not essential unless you need it for a specific purpose, scooping mids, boosting mids for solo's, cutting a certain frequency...etc.

if you are fairly happy with your sound then it isn't essential, but if you play clean a lot I would definatly try a good compressor especially if your guitar lacks a bit of natural sustain.

+1

• Members

http://drscientist.ca/pedaldetail.php?pedal_code=clean

my latest and most recent purchase. I love how it sparkles my humbuckers.

I also bought a Visual Sound Route 66 which is a 2-in-1 OD (w/bass boost) and Compression.

I'd use more the compression to clean up my fast strummed out parts while I use the EQ/Boost for more like individual notes or composites, but then again, there's no rules if you know what you're doing.

I'm hooking them up with my SHO into a Vox Tube... :cry::D Anyhow, both effects are for clean (or not so tidy) clean purists, If you're into Country pickin' or Good Ol' Motown sounds, compression can get you good mileage. The EQ isn't as equally essential unless you want to tweak your frequencies.

• Members

As stated before, they both have their own uses. I use my EQ all the time where as I use a compressor only when doing slides so my EQ is more useful. If i were to use the EQ as more of an effect at times and my sound required me to be compressed all the time the compressor would be more useful. So it really depends what you want each to do.

• Members

do u use your EQ on your amp in conjunction with an EQ pedal?

Yes. They shape the tone in different ways.

I don't use dirt pedals much. I prefer the natural overdrive coming from the tubes in my amps. EQ and compression are essential for me to get the tones I want, and to avoid clipping in unpleasant frequencies.

• Members

They're both really two different effects so it's hard to say which would be more important. A good compressor is great for balancing out the volume of your sound, especially if you find you're volume fluctuating too much while you're playing. An eq is also a great pedal to have. An eq will let you tweak more specific frequencies than your amp eq so you can really fine tune your tone. I would highly recommend getting both. I'm not someone who wants a lot of pedals either. But my compressor is almost always on, and I use the eq on my higher gain channel to dial out some of the things that my amp does to the sound that i don't particularly like.

• Members

hmmm.. sounds like EQ could be useful because of the boost thing...will something cheap like the danelectro fish and chips do the job ok? or am i looking at spending a lot more money for a decent EQ....

Should be fine....heck a cheap Behringer unit actualy works....but for how long is the question.

I am currently using Boss EQ's

Archived