Chorus Effect on Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time"?

petejt

• Members

I feel fucken stupid asking this question :freak: , especially since it seems fairly obvious that the chorus tone of the guitar in Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time sounds dead-set like the Roland Jazz Chorus 120 amp.

Even more loony, since I have that amp myself.

But, WAS IT that amp that was used for the tone & chorus effect?

Or another chorus pedal? :confused:

• Members

I dunno, personally, but that is a {censored}ing great track. I don't care what anybody says. Cindi Lauper puts so much emotion into her voice that you forget about the over processed sounds and focus on the raw feeling that is conveyed.

+1 dude.

• Members

I think now it may have been something else that made that chorus effect.

it'd make sense, as there was an entire studio (and a decent engineer) at her disposal, that there could be more than just an amp and/or pedal involved (ie: rack gear, multi-tracking tricks, etc).

• Members

it'd make sense, as there was an entire studio (and a decent engineer) at her disposal, that there could be more than just an amp and/or pedal involved (ie: rack gear, multi-tracking tricks, etc).

In fact, it was rack gear.

And a Marshall amp, surprisingly!

I just found this information, from The Indie Musician.com

http://theindiemusician.blogspot.com/2007/03/time-after-time-inside-story.html

"TIME AFTER TIME" - THE INSIDE STORY

Get an insider look at a professional recording studio experience.

Producer/Engineer William Wittman remembers the techniques and equipment he used to record Cyndi Lauper's song "Time After Time".

--------------------------------------

The guitar was Eric Bazilian's Strat through Record Plant's 50 watt Marshall 2x12 JMP combo.

It's got an 87 on it, probably compressed a bit with an La2a..........Then we moved up to the Mixroom, which had a customised Trident 56 in TSM.

we set up the same amp and Eric overdubbed the final guitar playing in the control room between the two speakers with the amp in the little overdub room.

At that point Cyndi mentioned Don't Stand So Close as a way to think about the verse guitar... since that said "chorus" to me, I put the Publison DHM-89 harmoniser on it and set it for a very short delay with a bit of pitch shift on each side, one side up the other down.

and that's the guitar chorusing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Archived