OT: I got LASIK surgery

ninjaaron

• Members

you gotta lube your eyes after lasik? ewwww.

honestly I'd rather spend lasik money on new pedals.

It was a gift from my parents. When my brother and I were kids, they always told us they wanted to get us eye surgery when we were old enough and the technology was better.

They wouldn't have bought me pedals anyway. Still, a pretty kick-ass gift.

By the way, Eye lube is just another type of eye drops, not very different from rewetting drops.

• Members

you gotta lube your eyes after lasik? ewwww.

honestly I'd rather spend lasik money on new pedals.

no, you don't understand. The most common problem with lasik is dry eyes. That is why you have to lubricate your eyes. It doesn't always happen, but it does.

And i disagree with you about choosing pedals over your eyes. I can buy pedals anytime. Lasik has change a lot of people's lives. Imagine yourself not needing glasses anymore. You wake up to a clear room and not a fuzzy one. You can play sports without worrying about breaking your glasses. You can wear cool shades with resorting to prescription sunglasses. You can jump into the ocean and you can actually see. You can go to the club/party without the geeky glasses. I know a lot of people who have gotten lasiks, and the result has been vastly positive.

As much as i love pedals, they are just toys to me.

• Members

being a virgin, I am fully aware of the importance of lubrication. But yeah, I've added a healthy dose of eye lube to my normal regement.

The more lube, the less feel. Chicks always ask for lube 'cos it starts to hurt, but then they complain that they can't feel anything with the lube. It's like, dude...a little goes a long way.

About the lasik...how long has it been out there for? I wonder if there's complications the older you get, or if you can get another lasik when your eyes worsen again.

• Members

About the lasik...how long has it been out there for? I wonder if there's complications the older you get, or if you can get another lasik when your eyes worsen again.

Well, most people's eyes stop growing when the rest of their body stops growing. Lasik only corrects problems associated with misshaped eyes, which is what most younger people with glasses need. It won't make any difference for an older person who needs reading glasses, or other problems with the retena or optic nerve. (they can do 'monovision',which corrects one eye to be like your reading glasses and one to be for distance, but that's kinda crazy).

But yeah, you can get multiple operations.

Google it if you really want to know.

• Members

I've got pretty {censored}ty vision (about -10.5, -11, if I recall properly), and need glasses for everything that's not two inches from my face. When I was younger, laser eye surgery was new and expensive, and I figured I'd best wait. I'd bet that it's pretty safe by this point... but how much does it cost?

Is the lubrication deal a for-the-rest-of-your-lifetime thing, or just while you heal?

• Members
no, you don't understand. The most common problem with lasik is dry eyes. That is why you have to lubricate your eyes. It doesn't always happen, but it does.

And i disagree with you about choosing pedals over your eyes. I can buy pedals anytime. Lasik has change a lot of people's lives. Imagine yourself not needing glasses anymore. You wake up to a clear room and not a fuzzy one. You can play sports without worrying about breaking your glasses. You can wear cool shades with resorting to prescription sunglasses. You can jump into the ocean and you can actually see. You can go to the club/party without the geeky glasses. I know a lot of people who have gotten lasiks, and the result has been vastly positive.

As much as i love pedals, they are just toys to me.

Glasses aren't geeky. :p

• Members

As much as I see the advantages of eye surgery in this case I don't want to have on myself. I can't see clear beyond 50cm/25cm but I am a glass-type. I look creepy without. Had contact lenses for a year, enjoyed the advantages but quit them for buying nice geeky glasses ;)

me8pf8.jpg

But I am glad everyone else seem to like it. What does it set you back in the US?

• Members

When it was all said and done, how much did it put you back?

I've been tossing the idea around for years. Problem is, I can't stand the idea of having my eyeballs sliced. If something goes wrong I'm {censored}ed. But it sure would be good to not need contacts or glasses anymore.

• Members

but how much does it cost?

What does it set you back in the US?

how much did it put you back?

As I said above, It was a gift from my parents.

It put them back $3990, but that was for the best technology and surgen. I got the same guy who did Tiger Wood's eye surgery. They made the corneal flap with a laser instead of a knife, which is the safest procedure, but also more expensive. I know you can pay less than what my parents paid, but I don't know that you can pay much more, stateside at least.

The lubrication is supposed to be needed for 1 - 2 months post op.

There are tons of risks. Blindness, worsened vision that can't be corrected with glasses or further surgery. The sheet they gave me to read even said death (though I can't really imagine how). However, with the most recent procedures (especially those that use a laser to create the flap), these kinds of complications are very unusual.

And for those of you who like glasses, you can still wear them. My grandma got LASIK and she still wears her glasses with non-perscription lenses. I have no idea why, but she does it, and she is very happy with the results of her operation.

• Members

It took about 10 minutes. I'm still in post op. I got it on friday. You have to sleep a lot the first day, but I could basically see fine right away. Just that there are halos around lights and brightly colord things. That is supposed to go away... sometime. It's different for different people.

• Members

My reluctance has always been that they don't put you to sleep. I'm real squeemish about my eyes (I won't do contacts because I don't want to touch my eyeball), and I'm afraid of flinching when they go for my eyes. How do they deal with that?

They put a ring thing on my eye that held it open. I also had a sedative and novicane drops in my eye. I don't think I could have flinched.

I think they have already thought about that one.

• 3 months later...

Archived