Question about Yamaha SPX900

Karma1

• Members

I'm considering doing a gear trade with a friend of mine for his Yamaha SPX900. I currently have an SPX90, which I would sell or trade if I got the 900. What I'm wondering is whether the 900 is a significant upgrade over the 90? Obviously the 900 is more expensive and has slightly newer technology and more features. But I'd be interested to hear any feedback about the SPX900 from anyone here who's had any experience with it. I know they are highly regarded in general. I'd be mainly using it in my studio, but possibly in a live rig for guitar if I find some sounds I really like after experimenting with it.

• Members

I'm considering doing a gear trade with a friend of mine for his Yamaha SPX900. I currently have an SPX90, which I would sell or trade if I got the 900. What I'm wondering is whether the 900 is a significant upgrade over the 90? Obviously the 900 is more expensive and has slightly newer technology and more features. But I'd be interested to hear any feedback about the SPX900 from anyone here who's had any experience with it. I know they are highly regarded in general. I'd be mainly using it in my studio, but possibly in a live rig for guitar if I find some sounds I really like after experimenting with it.

All that Yamaha stuff,the REv-7,spx90 and 90-2 are a bit noisy for studio.

Do you have the -2 or just spx90?.I like the arpeggiator on the pitchshift-c on the -2.. Answer your question the 900 is ok. I'm looking for a REV-1 or lex 224?

• Members

I have a SPX900 with a remote here in the studio. It's a much improved processor vs the SPX90 IMHO; it's quieter, has better sounding processing, etc. It's definitely a step up. It's still not a "multi-effect" though - it will only really do one thing at a time.

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated. Just wondering about your last statement though. In exploring the SPX900 and reading the manual, it seems that there are about ten "MULTI" patches where you can combine eq, compressor, distortion, and two different fx choices like reverb & echo, reverb & chorus, etc. So while the majority of the patches are single function, it does have multi-effect capability as well - unlike the SPX90.

It is a great sounding unit, though. I just spent a couple hours checking it out. I 've been playing a Tele with DiMarzio humbuckers into my Mackie mixer with the SPX900 in an aux send/stereo return and getting some very sweet sounds and lush effects. The distortion, as expected, is terrible, but most of the the other effects are impressive. It definitely does sound like a step up from the SPX 90 ll I've been using.

Archived