Mid Fi Pitch Pirate Review

• Members

Well I have to say that when I first plugged this thing in I was a little disappointed. Of all the things I have ordered recently I was most skeptical of this one. I twisted a few knobs and wasn't really digging what I was hearing, but like anything theres a learning curve. The knobs weren't labeled so it took me a little bit to figure it out. Theres rate, depth, wet/dry, and one knob that I'm still not completely sure about lol. After a little bit of tweaking my opinion began to change quickly. The key was setting the wet knob around 10 o'clock. This thing does great vibrato (up to an octave) but setting it up for a chorus effect is really what sounds best (imo). This has replaced my small clone for sure! I have only owned a few but this is by far the best chorus I have ever heard (in person). Theres so much control over the sound. You can set it to sweep an octave insanely fast, and then turn the mix so that its more dry than wet, and get these wide warbly sounds that are just great. Theres an infinite number of usuable chorus/vibrato tones in this. You can create slight background noise or totally swashbuckle the pitch of your guitar with this pirate. I found myself playing through this twice as much as the Empress Tremelo. The sound clips on the interent do not show what this pedal is capable of. Sure it can produce some interesting noise effects, but it can also make some really warm chorus/vibrato tones that are extremely musical. If it was broken I would replace it, and if anyone else has a chance to try one do so. Just don't expect it to be plug and play, because it takes some tweaking. Getting there is half the fun though, right?

• Members

I felt the exact same way about the Pitch Pirate when I bought it. At first I was like "wtf?", but then you realize that you gotta keep the depth low and it all starts to come together. Mine is slightly different then yours (the vibrato to chorus knob is an on and off switch), but i love putting it in vibrato mode and keep it extremely subtle with the rate high and running it into 2-head tape mode of the DD-20, it's my favorite "clean" sound in the world.

• Members

do you notice any volume loss when it's on?

not really, there is some change in sound simply because the pedal seems to eq your signal a bit to make it seem warmer and more analog sounding. however i feel like it may be slightly louder when in chorus mode.

• Members

I haven't noticed any volume drop. As far as the waveshape goes I'm not sure about that. I have 2 kids one of which is 5 months, and my grandparents are going out west for a few weeks. So they came down last night, and I really didn't have a long time to play with it. I will figure that out tonight. I'm also going to hook up several other pedals with it and see what sounds I can make. *IF* I have time I will try to make some clips, and *IF* not maybe I can this weekend.

• Members

You should def. consider it. Hopefully I'll be posting some clips soon. Uncledig.com has several Pitch Pirate mp3's too. I am not sure what they sound like though. It's a really interesting pedal. Right now I'm jonesing to get home and play it. It was only a 199.95. So it's not that much more than the Byoc

• Members

You should def. consider it. Hopefully I'll be posting some clips soon. Uncledig.com has several Pitch Pirate mp3's too. I am not sure what they sound like though. It's a really interesting pedal. Right now I'm jonesing to get home and play it. It was only a 199.95. So it's not that much more than the Byoc

Yeah, I think pre-built is like 190$....Where did you get yours?

• Members

Doug from Mid Fi sent me an email this morning clearing up what the mystery knob does. It blends the modulator wave form between a triangle and a square. So you were right Spectral. I played with it some more last night and got it sounding even better. Does anyone else have one? If so what settings do you use?

• Members

So it CAN do normal chorus sounds? The 2 vids on youtube only show it's insane-ness... I'm looking to get a chorus /vibrato in the future... first I was set on the clone theory, then the bbe mind bender, and now this, but this seems like the best deal for features/sound/etc. I'll never be bored with it :D

and you ordered the smaller, 4 knob vers from musictoyz? They have it pictured as the older one with 2 knobs and 2 switches... interesting

BTW, the 4 knob vers I'm talking about is this : http://www.noisefx.com/product_details/midfi_electronics_pitch_pirate_fx0253

• Members

This thing can do GREAT chorus sounds. It has the ability to get really weird but like I said it can be extremely warm and usuable. Theres so many possibilities. I would recomend this. If you get it though it will take some time to get what you want out of it. The clips/videos I have heard on the interenet do NOT do this thing justice. As far as size its not very big. Smaller than the Empress trem, but not as small as say.... an Ocd. I have the four knob one, and this has replaced my old chorus pedal.

Archived