I figured out that...

TeleMan1985

• Members

...the reason that I can't leave my pedalboard or rig alone is that I'm a crap guitar player. And I think messing with my toys is gonna make me sound better. But it aint. I need to practice. But I've sorta lost my way - I don't even know how to practice anymore. I just sort of have a ten minute noodle, get nowhere and do something else. Helppppp!

• Members

Sit in front of the tv and play along to everything. Learn a new technique. My latest one is bending a note, then applying vibrato by bending the bent note up and down a bit. Pain in the ass to teach your fingers to do that, and you just end up sounding like all the other players before you but who cares.

• Members

Sit in front of the tv and play along to everything. Learn a new technique. My latest one is bending a note, then applying vibrato by bending the bent note up and down a bit. Pain in the ass to teach your fingers to do that, and you just end up sounding like all the other players before you but who cares.

Thanks. How much emphasis do you put on theory? I mean, do you like know your stuff inside out, or do you just know what you need to know? How did you learn your theory in the first place?

• Members

I started on piano for about two grades, but most of my approach to the guitar is about how one note is related to another, basically how a melody relates to the chord or key at the time. I read guitar magazines for a couple of years too. I definitely dont know everything, and I don't want to either. I think so long as you train your ears, the technique stuff will come naturally anyway, but if you just learn technique, you can't do much with it unless you've got a musical ear.

• Members

I'm self taught always looking for new techniques. Listening to a recommended band on the forums helps me find new styles. I also take an opening riff from songs now and then and try to learn how to play it/the style that guitarist plays and try to incorporate it into my own creativity.

• Members

Sit in front of the tv and play along to everything....

A pretty good idea. Or turn on the radio (classic rock station, or oldies?) and learn to play a bunch of riffs/songs/melodies, and figure out chord progressions, etc.

• Members

Learn every ounce of theory and wow your friends.

Running through scales or doing picking exercises is good when you're watching TV; when commercials come on, mute the television and crank the guitar.

I used to do that. Ever since I bought a laptop, though, I just lurk these forums, email, or whatever on commercial breaks. Now I buy effects to cover up my lack of practice. They sound better than skill, anyways.

I'm serious.

• Members

Drugs, lots of them. Vintage drugs, preferably. I "hit the wall" one time but I managed to pick up a little pinch of coke that had spilled off a groupie's ass while Keith Richards was trying to snort it back in '76. Got that {censored} for $1200 on ebay! Next thing you know, I'm rocking out at a whole new level. Works 60% of the time, every time.

• Members

Get a G-DEC they make noodling/learning fun again, and with beats and a bassline they are great for your timing or just making it fun to play again, these clips where recorded with a guitar, a cord and a G-DEC, all sounds are from the G-DEC, (NO added FX).

G-DEC Clean
G-DEC Dirty
This clip was done with the Phrase Sampler, I added the rhythm guitar, looped it and played lead over it...
G-DEC Loop

2350000000_md.png

Archived