Let's talk about revisionist rock 'n roll history: what-ifs, coulda/shoulda-beens etc

bikehorn

• Members

Anyone ever think about this kind of stuff? I think I'm the only music geek I know who bothers.

What if Jimmy Page's original plan for Led Zep had come together? I think he originally wanted Keith Moon and John Entwistle to be the rhythm section and Terry Reid or Steve Marriott on vocals. He even asked Terry Reid to join but he couldn't because of a contract he already signed with evil Mickey Most...but he recommended a guy he knew named Robert Plant, whose band had John Bonham in it. Here's a video of Terry Reid at the '71 Glastonbury festival:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0NSY2tfjmgs

How about if Peter Frampton hadn't left Humble Pie and gone solo? I have HP's last album with him, "Rock On" and it's definitely their best. I mean, it's so incredibly energetic and effectively played...and they had three(!) great singers, not just Steve Marriott! Also one of the tightest rhythm sections around at the time with Jerry Shirley and Greg Ridley. Their cover of "Rolling Stone" by Muddy Waters is just unreal.

What if the original Jeff Beck Group lineup had stayed together and played Woodstock? They were scheduled to and broke up only weeks before the actual concert.

• Members

What if the Ramones disbanded after their first album?
What if the Sex Pistols stayed together for as long as the Ramones?
What if Kurt Cobain did not commit suicide? (no Foo Fighters?)
What if the Verve did not break up after hitting huge success with "Bitter Sweet Symphony"?
What if Pete Best continued as the Beatles drummer rather than Ringo?
What if all of the Beatles were still alive? (would they have jumped on this whole "reunion tour" craze?)

Archived