Someone grab this DEM

orange worker

Guest Anonymous

I had one with the power attached, just like that one. It was great. Definetly a bargain. I eventually traded for the poly chorus.

• Members
Sorry orange worker, I forgot that some 'big ups' are in order!
:thu:

My AmEx hates you.

Someone here posted about the Ludwig Phase II i bought, figured i'd pass around the joy :)

I would've grabbed it but I'm saving my pennies for an Ooh-Wah and perhaps the Cheese pedal ending in the next couple of days. :rolleyes: I already have 4 flangers anyway :freak:

• Members

i had one with a built in cord. it was great. i actually prefer the built in cord EH pedals over the wall wort ones. the build in cord only takes one spot on your outlet and the cord is nice and thick. the wall wort pedals need special power supplies anyways so they can't be daisy chained.

• Members

So I got the DEM today. Sexy as hell with just the right amount of "well loved EHX scratches." The daka-ware knobs are perfectly scuffed and,. . .oh, wait. This is HCFX not TGP. Nevermind.

The rate doesn't seem to drop nearly as low as I'd remembered, but my favorite use of the DEM is in filter mode manually setting the color and range.

Anybody got good mods for the DEM? I'd love to add a status LED (my old DMM has one & I like it) and maybe a 1/2 rate switch or something.

• Members

So I got the DEM today. Sexy as hell with just the right amount of "well loved EHX scratches." The daka-ware knobs are perfectly scuffed and,. . .oh, wait. This is HCFX not TGP. Nevermind.

The rate doesn't seem to drop nearly as low as I'd remembered, but my favorite use of the DEM is in filter mode manually setting the color and range.

Anybody got good mods for the DEM? I'd love to add a status LED (my old DMM has one & I like it) and maybe a 1/2 rate switch or something.

[deleted, possible malware site]

I don't know anything about it, but it looks interesting.

• Members

I did one of those mods to mine - I moved the delay time trim pot to a front panel control. Easy as pie, and makes the thing way more versatile.

mymoddedmistress.jpg

:eek: Coooooooool! Do you have any clips to demonstrate how it sounds? What's the resistance value of the pot?

BTW my wife and I dig the tunes on your MySpace.

• Members

:eek:
Coooooooool! Do you have any clips to demonstrate how it sounds? What's the resistance value of the pot?

BTW my wife and I dig the tunes on your MySpace.

I only have one clip - this is set so the extra control is at the shortest delay time and the range at the lowest setting, but it will do all kinds of different sounds. A 10K linear pot does the trick.

http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Uma%20Floresta%20-%20Electric%20Mistress%20Porcelina.mp3

I'm glad you and your wife dig my stuff, thank you! :)

• Members

Way awesome. Can't wait to tear into it tomorrow. The Device article suggests a 100k pot for the delay & a 10k pot for the mix. I assume these are linear pots? I guess I don't really know the difference between audio & linear pots, i.e. - when to use each. Are audio pots ONLY for volume?

• Members

Way awesome. Can't wait to tear into it tomorrow. The Device article suggests a 100k pot for the delay & a 10k pot for the mix. I assume these are linear pots? I guess I don't really know the difference between audio & linear pots, i.e. - when to use each. Are audio pots ONLY for volume?

Yeah, but the Device article is talking about the original Electric Mistress, not Deluxe Electric Mistress. I was prepared to use a 100K pot, but when I got the trim pot out and measured it with my meter, it was something like 8K.

I did mess around with the other internal trim pots, and they aren't really worth the trouble of making them external controls. The other three seem to have only one sweet spot. The mix trim pot doesn't really "mix" per say in the DEM, it just seems to kind of turn the flange effect on and off. It must have been different with the old EM.

Linear pots basically just move the resistance up or down linearly, while audio pots move the resistance up or down exponentially. You can really use either one, but with an audio taper pot, the resistance will change by only small increments for a long time, and then suddenly change more rapidly at a either the end or beginning of the sweep, depending on if it's audio or reverse audio. That can be advantageous depending on the circuit design - not just for volume. For example, the best values in a certain control might be between 1 and 25 K, but you want it to be able to go up to 100K. That's where audio taper comes in.

But when in doubt, I go for linear - it has a predictable sweep, and happens to work nicely for the DEM delay time control.

• Members

Excellent info, thank you.

The re-issue DEM certainly does have a different board. Here's mine:

dem_pcb.jpg

From the looks of it, mine is a 90s model. Has the NOS Chicago Daka Ware Knobs not the newer flat style. Bad news is the pots are in totally different spots. Good news is:

dem_pcb_back.jpg

They're easy to reach from the back! Nice to be able to muss with them w/o having to pull the knobs every time & remove the board.

Uma Floresta, is this the same board yours has? Care to guess at which trimpot is which? Sounds like they're all safe to play with, especially if all of them other than the delay time have "sweet spots."

I'll continue to update this thread with whatever I find.

• Members

Excellent info, thank you.

The re-issue DEM certainly does have a different board. Here's mine:

dem_pcb.jpg

From the looks of it, mine is a 90s model. Has the NOS Chicago Daka Ware Knobs not the newer flat style. Bad news is the pots are in totally different spots. Good news is:

dem_pcb_back.jpg

They're easy to reach from the back! Nice to be able to muss with them w/o having to pull the knobs every time & remove the board.

Uma Floresta, is this the same board yours has? Care to guess at which trimpot is which? Sounds like they're all safe to play with, especially if all of them other than the delay time have "sweet spots."

I'll continue to update this thread with whatever I find.

Yeah, that looks like mine - the delay pot is the one set apart from the other three (the three that are on "top"). Before you do mess with the other three, I'd get a marker and mark on the board how it was oriented - you save a lot of time that way.

The feedback trim pot is best set to the point where if you have the main feedback control maxed, it doesn't self oscillate, but is just under that point. The DEM's self oscillation isn't pretty, IMO.

• Members
Yeah, that looks like mine - the delay pot is the one set apart from the other three (the three that are on "top"). Before you do mess with the other three, I'd get a marker and mark on the board how it was oriented - you save a lot of time that way.

The feedback trim pot is best set to the point where if you have the main feedback control maxed, it doesn't self oscillate, but is just under that point. The DEM's self oscillation isn't pretty, IMO.

:thu: Thanks for the INFO :D I'm reluctant to do any mods to the DEM I have because it's in such great condition for a 1979 green/black model. But now I want to buy a beat-up one used on eBay and experiment with it.

Archived