Your favorite flanger?

Sammy TWP

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most flangers just don't sound musical to me. It always sounds like an airplane sound/warble sound mixed in as opposed to it altering the sound itself like some of the better phasers do. The sound of a flanger just doesn't "mix"(not literally) well with that of a guitar. It's a novelty, really.

The only one I'm really interested in is the Morley Pro Flanger, though it doesn't take batteries and looks like a brick. I'm hoping Zvex makes a Flange Probe... he's not so interested in Flange, but that'd be a very different effect.

• Members

It probably wouldnt fit in the little ZVex enclosure although hes been doing some SMD lately and that could be done in a small space. He has stated before that he doesn't plan on doing modulation pedals.

Yeah; but then he went ahead and made a ring mod. I know, it's a different kind of "modulation", you mean time/delay based effects but still, it wasn't something expected. The Lo-Fi Loop Junky does have Vibrato though, which is a time based effect. I don't think he's outright stated it, except for flangers, it's just that it's the impression people get from him having done loads of whacky pedals but no modulations. It's very likely that he just hasn't thought up a good one. Modulation effects are always the ones that every other company tries to make interesting. Zvex is focusing on making the distortions, filters, etc. interesting, I guess, the more gritty, "real" sounding stuff.

• Members

Nothing can touch the FoxRox TZF, IMO.
If it is too expensive/too deep, the Ibanez Classic Flanger - FL99 is a great pedal as well, that does a lot.
The BYOC flanger does look cool, and I'll probably pick one up while waiting for the new TZF to come out.
My bud has the ADA, which is really cool as well.
And I've had a few MXRs in my day, and they are a great, thick flanger too.

• Members

Yeah; but then he went ahead and made a ring mod. I know, it's a different kind of "modulation", you mean time/delay based effects but still, it wasn't something expected. The Lo-Fi Loop Junky does have Vibrato though, which is a time based effect. I don't think he's outright stated it, except for flangers, it's just that it's the impression people get from him having done loads of whacky pedals but no modulations. It's very likely that he just hasn't thought up a good one. Modulation effects are always the ones that every other company tries to make interesting. Zvex is focusing on making the distortions, filters, etc. interesting, I guess, the more gritty, "real" sounding stuff.

He has said a number of times that he would love to do them but that they wont fit. I dont think hes opposed, he just know it cant be reasonably done.

Archived