amp problem

fadedjoy

• Members

so i woke up today and thought i'd jam this morning, turn the power on my amp, and no sound. it's not my cables and the tubes are all fine, and after further inspection i found that if i turn the volume all the way up i do get a little sound but it was just fine last night.. whats wrong with it? it's a C30 btw.

• Members

well the tubes all light up and they are all within a month old and were working fine last night, and i've tried several cables, i don't even get the screechy sounds from pulling the cables out i normaly did.

on a side note i generally have to smack my amp once or twice on the side when i turn it on for the first time of the day to get it to work. i'm getting a little more sound out of it now that i've taken it apart and fiddled with a few things but still not quite back to normal.

• Members

Something in there is going to be sensitive when cold. There is some stuff called freeze spray - I think you can still get it. You could let it warm up to working temperature then carefully spray each component until you find something. Also, tapping around with a long plastic stick or a piece of wood might help find it. Do you still have the old tubes?

P.S. Don't spray the tube glass...

• Members

i've been trying to find the weak spot but i got it working at about 25% normal volume, but it sounds really distorted on the clean channel.

i also just noticed that when i plug my guitar into the effects return it sounds loud as normal

• Members

I have this problem with my Peavey Triumph 60 everytime the 3rd stage tube dies, I think it controls the FX loop on my Triumph.

Have you tried a patch cable from the FX loop out to the return, if that remedies your problem, you may just have dirty FX loop jacks, nothing some contact cleaner can't cure.

Then check your tubes, there's 6 in the C30 if I am not mistaken, 2 power 1 FX loop, 3 preamp, the preamp tubes are probably hidden. Oh and do you have a fan? I've seen some amps die down when the fan isn't working properly, kind of a safety feature.

If all that is OK, you may have some cold solder points that need to be addressed, and that sucks.

Anyhow, good luck, hope you get it fixed. But in my experience with peaveys anytime I get the Volume drop issue, I have had a dead tube.

• Members

i'll have to try it in the morning when i can turn it on, it's a bit late now, thanks for the good advice. when i've jangled it a bit i've been getting some loud pops sounding like the volume returning to normal, it sounds like something must be loose but i've checked it through quite a bit. i'll have a couple hours to go through it tomorrow morning so i hope i can figure it out. and the C30 is a 4 power 3 pre amp.

also no fan, but i've got a small 4" i thought about putting back there.

• Members

Sometimes I've also found that removing the tubes, and cleaning out the contact points on the tube and in the amp slots, that I have had a fair bit of accumulated crud in there.

But I know the whole bang thing with the amp all too well, i would bet that either a tube is dying, dead or loose.

Archived