can you ever have too many delays?

garyfanclub

• Members

Considering that 4 out of the last 5 pedals I have gotten were delays, I guess not.

Nova
SMM with Hazarai
Fromunda
RC-2
Ibanez UE405

If you count reverbs (and why wouldn't you?) I now have twenty delays. I have had an additional 26 that I have sold, traded, or busted beyond repair. I think this is the most I have had at any one time.

If this means I win something, could I get it in delays?

:wave:

• Members
Considering that 4 out of the last 5 pedals I have gotten were delays, I guess not.

Nova

SMM with Hazarai

Fromunda

RC-2

Ibanez UE405

If you count reverbs (and why wouldn't you?) I now have twenty delays. I have had an additional 26 that I have sold, traded, or busted beyond repair. I think this is the most I have had at any one time.

If this means I win something, could I get it in delays?

:wave:

:thu: 20!!!

• Members
of course not, and the talent level decreases exponentially as the delay pedal count rises.

This is true, for me at least. I need to just put the pedals down and actually play... I spend a lot of my time recently messing around with pedals (delay) instead of playing. Both can be good, since I can find out new sounds/ways to use delay but I think playing might be more important. :idk:

edit: and the only 2 delays that I'm having all this fun with is a DD-6 and RV-3... DD-6 has some amazing oscillation stuff + the hold feature is neat. SMMH coming wednesday in the mail.

• Members
This is true, for me at least. I need to just put the pedals down and actually play... I spend a lot of my time recently messing around with pedals (delay) instead of playing. Both can be good, since I can find out new sounds/ways to use delay but I think playing might be more important.
:idk:

edit: and the only 2 delays that I'm having all this fun with is a DD-6 and RV-3... DD-6 has some amazing oscillation stuff + the hold feature is neat. SMMH coming wednesday in the mail.

I'm kind of the opposite. I spent years and years woodshedding learning all kinds of techniques and being able to 'shred'. Now I love pouring on the reverb and delay and tinking out little simple lines that sound good :p I think it's good to have a balance of both, like you said

• Members
I'm kind of the opposite. I spent years and years woodshedding learning all kinds of techniques and being able to 'shred'. Now I love pouring on the reverb and delay and tinking out little simple lines that sound good
:p
I think it's good to have a balance of both, like you said

Same. I was really into jazz comping and coming up with unnecessarily complex chord changes in my later HS years. I guess I got kind of bored when i realized there were very few people interested in actually playing that sort of stuff, so I got really into textural stuff.

Just because you have 8 delays doesn't mean they're all on at the same time, and having that many options at arm's length (toe's length?) is just as interesting and useful as being fluent in scales and chord voicings.

When are people going to stop seeing music as a competitive sport? Talent less to do with conventional guitarist connotations of the word, more to do with what you're trying to accomplish. If I saw a dude twiddling 3 delays to create beats and awesome textures, I'd be just as blown away as I would be by Joe Pass.

Archived