Zoom G1 - Get it.

Kittie Rose

• Members

To be fair the pitch shifting doesn't alias much less than the 505 series' does. But the Harmoniser is fantastic, it's like it's using a different algorithm. Would still get a whammy, but the G1 is fantastic for what it is. I'll always keep it around for a quick drum machine/harmoniser/practice box/mic preamp. Nothing wrong with it's Step Phaser, either. Some of the models are just fantastic, though a lot of them are pretty dire. The Extreme Distortion model is surprisingly useful when you turn the gain down a bit - ironically sounds more like a high gain Metallica record more than any of the "real" amp models. The clean models are nice, too. You just have to make sure to keep the Cab model to the STACK setting and tweak the EQ constantly(generally the mids - some of the high gain amps honk like hell, so you need to drop them, others sound weak and empty so you need to raise them) or they'll sound like {censored}e.

• Members

It's interesting, this box doesn't give me some of the features I really thought I needed from a Multi-FX that the Korg AX3G did, but it also introduced me to some new possibilities. There are some amp models I'd never have thought of using before, and I never realised how useful a harmoniser can be. I just wish I could set it to work "Below" so I could use it as a low choir for my voice.

Also, it works with those low volume sennheisers, unlike the microcube. Output seems to be about twice as loud, just enough to hear the twang from my cleans.

It really needs a distorted Vox model though, and a better Mesa Boogie.

I can't figure out how to get a smooth, Tubey distortion either. I'm sure there's probably one that with the right amount of gain and mids and delay would sound good, but which one? There's a lot of drive modes.

• Members

I plugged my G2 in last night. I cringed immediately...after playing on my new Damage Control Demonizer (real tubes!) for the last month, getting back to digital distortion was painful.

I need to sell this Zoom POS.

• Members

It's not that bad at all once you learn to tame it. You have to accept that on a cheap modeler MOST of the models are probably going to sound like {censored}e without extensive tweaking. Since I was prepared for how {censored} the G1 would be "Out of the box" I very quickly learned the tweaks that make it sound better - gain 10 or below, drop or lower the mids quite a lot depending on the model, use a stack model and only very light compressor. I can get a useable tone out of most of the models.

• Members

Well, I am tired of "usable" tones, I want great tones. All of the digital modellers gave me usable tones, but not a single one gave me a great tone (and I won't even mention how much time I spent on tweaking, EQ, blah, blah...)

With my Demonizer it's

axe -> Demonizer -> DI -> PC = greatest tone I ever captured

But, I am grateful I got the G2...it finally made me realize that digital is crap and I need to find something tube-oriented. Once I did, I am never going back.

• Members

You're not going to get a "great" tone in the way you imagine with a cheap modeler. That's a given.

Personally, I don't mind not having the Tube-ish whoomph. I've just never been that tubey a person I guess. I've always wanted to have just one, smooth tubey tone but it doesn't have to have the impact of a real tube.

I mainly use amp modelers for clean modelers to run my RAT and Fuzz Factory through. I get some "Great Tones" from those.

• Members

OK, that may work: as long as your distortion is outside of the digital realm, there are probably ways to make it sound decent.

But then...you should try running your pedals through a Womanizer or a Demonizer on a clean setting :-)

• Members

Right now I'm thinking of getting a Vox Pathfinder which supposedly offers warm, tube like tones without the need for actual tubes. I don't know if I'll ever have enough space for a big ass tube amp, and smaller tube amps don't seem great value to money for me.

Pretty damn sure I want an English Muff'n at some point, though.

• Members

Well, but the Demonizer is not a tube amp: it's an all-tube (preamp + simulated power amp) direct recording >>pedal

It's about the same size as a G2, allthough admittedly twice as expensive. Well worth it though. I modded it with Tung-Sol tubes for more hi-gain, now it's a roaring beast.

• Members

i had a GFX-1 with a foot controller and after using other pedals for dirt, it became a crazy delay/chorus/whatever effect....but the bypass is hideous and I've been looking around for a quality multieffect with great bypass. I'm a bang for the buck type of guy and I was looking into a G2 for some random controllable effects for live use..

• Members

Well, but the Demonizer is not a tube amp: it's an all-tube (preamp + simulated power amp) direct recording >>pedal It's about the same size as a G2, allthough admittedly twice as expensive. Well worth it though. I modded it with Tung-Sol tubes for more hi-gain, now it's a roaring beast.

Doesn't look like bad value at all, same for Womanizer. It "is" an amp though, if it's direct recording. Ebaying it it's advertised as a preamp. It just doesn't have a speaker, poweramp or look like a Head. I'd get one if I had a decent Cab to put it into.

• Members
Doesn't look like bad value at all, same for Womanizer. It "is" an amp though, if it's direct recording. Ebaying it it's advertised as a preamp. It just doesn't have a speaker, poweramp or look like a Head. I'd get one if I had a decent Cab to put it into.

It has *very good* speaker simulation though, so I just plug my headphones into my PC and I am ready to rock! :thu:

Archived