Zoom G1 - Get it.

Kittie Rose

• Members

Yeah, I guess some of the amp models could be vastly improved with some tweaking, but I just haven't got the patience. I just don't use the thing anymore. Some of the cleaner ones are okay though...

So you {censored} on an entry-level modeler because you won't tweak the presets?

Not much experience with modelers, huh?

• Members

It's interesting, this box doesn't give me some of the features I really thought I needed from a Multi-FX that the Korg AX3G did, but it also introduced me to some new possibilities. There are some amp models I'd never have thought of using before, and I never realised how useful a harmoniser can be. I just wish I could set it to work "Below" so I could use it as a low choir for my voice.

Also, it works with those low volume sennheisers, unlike the microcube. Output seems to be about twice as loud, just enough to hear the twang from my cleans.

It really needs a distorted Vox model though, and a better Mesa Boogie.

I can't figure out how to get a smooth, Tubey distortion either. I'm sure there's probably one that with the right amount of gain and mids and delay would sound good, but which one? There's a lot of drive modes.

They save the best amp and stomp box models for the higher end units. I've got a G9.2tt and it is awesome for what it is. The cabinet modeling is less impressive (but they all suck, all of them - impulse response convolution is the only way to fly). And for the guy in here going on and on about "real tube distortion," sweet {censored}ing christ, give it a rest. No one comes into your threads about tube distortion shouting about how much better digital or SS distortion is. There are many venues for your ranting, pick one and leave the occasional, rare discussion about modelers undisturbed. I've got two Damage Control pedals and I love how they sound but this isn't the place for that.

• Members

Oh well...

Since the thread was bumped anyway...

If you guys ever consider getting a good sound out of a modeller you should spend a good deal of time tweaking - these Zoom units don't really need all that tweakage though.

From what I can remember the G1 has the same module structure of the G2, so: if you want to get a good sound out of the stompbox/amp models you should set the gain really low (20 or lower) and use the booster that's on the first FX section. That makes for good low-to-mid overdriven sounds and gets the so called "dynamics" back. There's a 6 band EQ on the thing so don't forget about that (3 band on the G1).

• Members

Right now I'm thinking of getting a Vox Pathfinder which supposedly offers warm, tube like tones without the need for actual tubes. I don't know if I'll ever have enough space for a big ass tube amp, and smaller tube amps don't seem great value to money for me.

Pretty damn sure I want an English Muff'n at some point, though.

Just $149...small...5 watts...all tube. :thu:

The English Muff'n will cost more than the amp. :D

BH5H-3Qtr-2502986112140883d6b9e7e647e1d1

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BLABH5H

• Members

I've been thinking about that little thing, but as I understand it you still have to crank it to get its best sound, and it's still pretty loud... am I wrong?

I haven't had the chance to try one. I've played through a few different 5 watt tube amps recently though and they're still a little loud for apartment volumes depending on the time of day you're playing and how fussy your neighbors are, but a lot more manageable than my modded Blues Jr.

I've heard good things about it. I look forward to checking it out soon. :)

Archived