Subdecay Quasar

Destructobot

• Members

Nitefly, I was hoping you'd chime in, you always seem to be the man to talk to about modulation pedals.

I've been itching to try the Moon phaser and the retro sonic, perhaps some of the maxon offerings too. Just noticed the quasar yesterday and thought it looked ugly as sin but had lots of knobs. Based on descriptions and reviews I think I'd like the Moon phaser the best, but it's a ton of $$$

Have you used a PH-350 maxon? The switchable number of stages seems like a great idea.

• Members

Nitefly, I was hoping you'd chime in, you always seem to be the man to talk to about modulation pedals.

I've been itching to try the Moon phaser and the retro sonic, perhaps some of the maxon offerings too. Just noticed the quasar yesterday and thought it looked ugly as sin but had lots of knobs. Based on descriptions and reviews I think I'd like the Moon phaser the best, but it's a ton of $$$

Have you used a PH-350 maxon? The switchable number of stages seems like a great idea.

The Moon Phaser is great. worth the extra $$$ over the maxon if you want something that is super lush and organic. it can be pretty subtle or over the top throbby and most things in between. i got everything from 2 stage phaser vibe's, phase 90 classic stuff and thick, chewy univibe stuff out of mine.

• Members

Angelhair0 has a maxon and it sounds great. Its a big pedal but seems to be worth the real estate.

I had a moon phaser. It has a volume drop and a treble boost so it adds a lot of white noise to your high end.

The HBE is really nice and the maxon would also be great.

• Members

I had a moon phaser. It has a volume drop and a treble boost so it adds a lot of white noise to your high end.

i didnt get that at all. actually mine had a slight volume boost, but nothing that didnt bother me.

I had all my internal trimmers still at factory setting though. i didnt need the trem on it, so i didnt play with anything. Was yours new or used cos perhaps that was the reason. im pretty sure that by ramping up the thickness and depth of the trem thinned out the phase. or it could have been the unit. who knows.

• Members

I bought mine new and never fooled with the trimmers. The trem on the MP is pretty lame. Not deep or lush at all. I used my moon phaser in a loop which can bring out a lot of the issues I described more than standard front-end use.

ahh

i had mine quite well hidden actually. it sat 3rd in line after my wah and fuzz and had a chorus, 2 overdrives, a comp, a delay then a super hard on at the end all in its way.

though even if i played just the phaser into the amp it was fine.

im not a big loop fan anymore. i used to put delays there to keep them from having my overdrive pedals hitting them, but the tube tape echo sounds too good in front of my amp.

• Members

I liked my Moon Phaser when I first got it, but eventually sold it. It was smooth and organic and maybe a bit too polite.

I tried one of the Quasar prototypes and keep meaning to get a "Real" one. The combination of controls covers a damn wide range of sounds. I especially liked the positive OR negative feedback for two very different kinds of resonance.

The Quasar and the Maxon PH350 remain on my wish list.

Archived