Tolerance, respect, civility and discourse... and returning trolls.

Phil O'Keefe

Hi everyone. :wave:

Let's all please try to show a bit more tolerance towards others, and put a bit of thought into how our words may effect other people. I'm not saying you can't have disagreements about things, but it would be great if everyone would "agree to disagree agreeably".

There has been a bit too much insensitivity towards certain groups of people here lately, and I would like everyone to please refrain from attacking people or insulting them by using slurs, starting threads, and and making snide comments that reflect negatively on their sexual orientation, mental or physical conditions, beliefs (or lack thereof) etc. etc.

If it was someone in your family, or a friend, or someone you loved, would you do that? How about if it was your best buddy's kid who had a genetic defect? Would you continue to use words like "retard"? Would you snidely call your uncle, who had polio as a kid "cripple"?

In some cases, we know of people on the forum who have faced some of these challenges, or who have lifestyles and / or religious beliefs that are different than the majority of ours. In other cases we don't, because those people have chosen not to make that information public... but that doesn't mean they are not sometimes hurt when they see an insensitive comment tossed about so flippantly.

So please - think a bit before hitting that "send" button, and give a bit more consideration to the effect your words will have - not only upon the person you're directing the comment to, but to others who might also see it.

Thanks. :wave:

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone. We have a few trolls who like to come back after a ban and try to continue trolling. It's usualy pretty obvious who they are. Low post counts, join dates that are recent but with an obvious knowledge of the people and prior events on the forum...

If you see someone like that posting, and trying to stir things up, DO NOT REPLY TO THEM IN ANY WAY. That only gives them attention and encourages them - "report and ignore".

If I see anyone egging them on, I'll issue them a 3-7 day temp ban too. :cop:

Thanks. :wave:

I mean it: When this person shows back up (and it's bound to be obvious) REPORT IT, THEN IGNORE THEM.

Trolls want attention. Don't give it to them.

That means NO REPLIES AT ALL, regardless of what they do or say. No "In!", no " :snax: " or other clever images, no conversations between yourselves in the troll's threads... there should be ZERO responses to their threads.

If they show up in the middle of a pre-existing thread, IGNORE THEM as if they weren't even there. Yeah, hit the report button for me if you would, but don't give them the satisfaction of ANY response, reply, reference, insult or other acknowledgment whatsoever.

Archived