Just pulled the trigger on an Akai Intelliphase

bikehorn

• Members

It was cheap at $35 and I really wanted a phaser with a depth and speed control. I figured I couldn't do much better for even $60 so what the hell. It also has a feedback knob so that's cool, plus envelope controlled phasing(don't know how much I'll use it, but sounds fun). I keep hearing that this thing is like a tweakable Phase 90, is that accurate? Am I going to end up dumping this thing for a thicker phase? I'm only looking for 70's phase sounds right now, not complete freakout effects.

• Members

It was cheap at $35 and I really wanted a phaser with a depth and speed control. I figured I couldn't do much better for even $60 so what the hell. It also has a feedback knob so that's cool, plus envelope controlled phasing(don't know how much I'll use it, but sounds fun). I keep hearing that this thing is like a tweakable Phase 90, is that accurate? Am I going to end up dumping this thing for a thicker phase? I'm only looking for 70's phase sounds right now, not complete freakout effects.

I'd bet that you would have been happier buying my phaser if you want thick 70s ... I had the akai once, I like there products, but not that one.

• Members

i quite liked the intelliphase. its a 4stage phaser, more control than a phase90 and doesn't alter your sound like a usa small stone.. i would choose it over either of the obvious choices.

only downside is the size of the thing. there was a guy who re-housed it thoughif you do a forum search you might find the thread.

• Members

the Akai G-Drive is great too. very pick-sensitive overdrive for digital gain, and pre and post eq means you can get fuzz, metal and hairy clean overdrive. amazingly under-rated.

the signal drops out when you switch it in though.. *shakes head*

• Members

Variwah = good idea but poor reviews too.

The Variwah is actually excellent for the price. I see them go for $50 or less on eBay quite often. It's the only cyclical autowah pedal I know that has an expression pedal for rate, depth, and offset. I've compared the sweep to my Crybaby GCB95, and it's as good if not better. Plus, there is an internal trimpot that allows you to adjust the sweep.

pr-Amplifiers-Akai_W1_Variwah_Guitar_Wah

• Members

Hey Velcro, that's a sweet rehouse.

I just found out that "standard international flat rate shipping" to my house is $22 for a stupid pedal. Not such a good deal anymore. {censored} USPS. I bet I'll have to pay some bull{censored} $15 handling fee when I get it too.

• Members

I've had a couple of these and I love them too. Very thick. And they're even true bypass! The ugly gray box sucks but there has to be some reason that it's $35.
:D

not TB, just very good B.

the $35 was closeout, they were going for $120 the year(s) they were out. worth it at that price even, imho.

the envelope thing is just a volume/voltage-triggered on off, quite a cool feature.

Archived