The organ secret on the micro pog...

BTBAM

• Members

Okay...so I know not everyone has the means to do this, but here's how I've covered the ground. People discuss how the micro pog doesn't have detune, so it doesn't sound as much like an organ right? I mean...sure it sounds......sort of like one...with three octaves at once...but really now. Well...this weekend while I was out of town I remembered that I run my whammy before my micro pog. As soon as I got home, I put it in the shallow detune setting, and then kicked on the micro pog and...complete difference. I still wish it could have the initial bass note and then swell in some harmonys like the hog does....but this sounds stellar. I like to kick in the maxon cs-9 chorus subtly and also do some slight swells with the volume pedal, and I cannot get over how good it sounds. I'll try to do a demo of this on tuesday.

• Members

Whammy for detune.

Yes...the chorus and volume swells are not necessary....they just add a lot to it...

HOWEVER...i do feel the whammy (or some other detuning providing effect) should be used before. Like I said...it just makes it go from a sad imitation into a very, hard to tell the difference copy. Once I make a video (pray the quality holds up) I think you'll see what I mean.

• Members
Why would you need the whammy for the organ sound?
:confused:

Some vibrato and reverb certainly will enhance the organ tone.

I use my chorus for vibrato...it adds a lot...but more so than that, i think the secret lies in detune. however...the chorus after does do that...but...the detune setting alone is a different feel.

• Members

Okay...so I know not everyone has the means to do this, but here's how I've covered the ground. People discuss how the micro pog doesn't have detune, so it doesn't sound as much like an organ right? I mean...sure it sounds......sort of like one...with three octaves at once...but really now. Well...this weekend while I was out of town I remembered that I run my whammy before my micro pog. As soon as I got home, I put it in the shallow detune setting, and then kicked on the micro pog and...complete difference. I still wish it could have the initial bass note and then swell in some harmonys like the hog does....but this sounds stellar. I like to kick in the maxon cs-9 chorus subtly and also do some slight swells with the volume pedal, and I cannot get over how good it sounds. I'll try to do a demo of this on tuesday.

Good tip. Thanks.

• Members

I use my chorus for vibrato...it adds a lot...but more so than that, i think the secret lies in detune. however...the chorus after does do that...but...the detune setting alone is a different feel.

Do you think a detune before the micro pog affects the tracking at all?

• Members

Doesn't the whammy detune the entire 'octave stack' though? I thought the appeal of the big pog was that it slightly detunes the upper octave but leaves the original and lower octave intact

I think you're missing the point. I'm not saying it does exactly what the pog did. I'm saying having the detune on it....entire octave stack or not...makes the micro pog...which originally has nothing to it...just...a straight signal...a octave up....and an octave down....sound more like an organ than not having the effect on it.

• Members
...hang on, so the secret to making the organ sound with the micro pog is use other pedals that together cost more than a full sized pog?
:thu::lol:

With me or anyone else already having the whammy already on board, yes.

and it has nothing to do with using other pedals that cost more than a full sized pog. the whammy is used for more things than the pog could be - not like the detune would be it's only purpose.

• Members
With me or anyone else already having the whammy already on board, yes.

and it has nothing to do with using other pedals that cost more than a full sized pog. the whammy is used for more things than the pog could be - not like the detune would be it's only purpose.

just kiddin' :)

it sounds like a neat trick....I'm gonna have to get a micro pog soon. :thu:

• Members

I think you're missing the point. I'm saying it does exactly what the pog did. I'm saying having the detune on it....entire octave stack or not...makes the micro pog...which originally has nothing to it...just...a straight signal...a octave up....and an octave down....sound more like an organ than not having the effect on it.

I guess I don't understand what the 'detune' effect does then... whatever works for ya

• Members

The detune makes it sound slightly out of tune, more like an organ than simple harmonies. This thread was only made for those who might want to hear a different way to make it sound more organ-like. The initial post even said it wasn't for everyone, or not everyone has the means for it. Its just a little trick I figured out. those who are interested, try it out...those who aren't...thats fine too, but leave your comments to yourself (not applying to anyone in particular)

Archived