Curious: What are your practice routines?

TeleMan1985

• Members
I've posted about this before, basically because my practice is notoriously unfocused, and I often end up noodling the same old riffs for 2 hours. What do you guys like to do? Theory? Scales and more scales? Play along to CD's? Practice over a loop?

Fire away!
:wave:

Band practice twice a week; gigs on the weekend. Other nights can be scales and exercises on the acoustic, R&D stuff for new material recorded on the computer so i don't forget it, or refining/polishing of the current material we have written. I need to get myself into other genres of music when time allows.....heh.....it never does.

• Members

I practice once a week with my band. I usually spend most of the rest of my time either writing new songs working on lyrics etc. if I hear an interesting guitar part, chord structure or whatever while listening to music I'll pick up my guitar and try and figure it out. I never sit down with 'I must practice' in my mind though....but then I don't aspire to be the worlds best guitarist.

• Members
Wow, you guys are all as lazy as me! Awesome... :poke:

:lol:

thing is, I play because I enjoy playing......I don't want it to feel like work or an exam or something like that...I'm not really that keen on playing on my own either to be honest, I just don't get the same buzz as playing in the band with my friends....and that is what it's all about for me.

• Members
:lol:

thing is, I play because I enjoy playing......I don't want it to feel like work or an exam or something like that...I'm not really that keen on playing on my own either to be honest, I just don't get the same buzz as playing in the band with my friends....and that is what it's all about for me.

Yeah, that's the view I have started taking really. Theory is just work to me. Playing and messing around isn't...

• Members
Yeah, that's the view I have started taking really. Theory is just work to me. Playing and messing around isn't...

my thoughts exactly...I mean it's different if you wanna be a pro session musician or something, but if you just wanna rock the {censored} out with a band, and have fun playing guitar, then it's a different story all together if you ask me!! :rawk:

• Members

I don't practice at all.

I don't have patience for scales, modes and stretching exercises and {censored}. Over the years I've taught myself enough music theory and chord progressions, chord inversions, shapes, etc to get by for a long while.

Honestly, I just pick up a guitar and start playing a riff or trying to learn a song that's in my head.

• Members
I've posted about this before, basically because my practice is notoriously unfocused, and I often end up noodling the same old riffs for 2 hours. What do you guys like to do? Theory? Scales and more scales? Play along to CD's? Practice over a loop?

Fire away!
:wave:

If I keep playing the same riffs, I just stop playing them and make up new ones.

• Members

I mostly just mess around on acoustic with some chord-melody stuff. Get discouraged. Come up with something of my own, or work on refining some parts i came up with in band practice and didn't get to polish.

For the most part though, I don't practice much guitar, maybe 3-4 hours a week. I spend most of my time trying to come up with interesting stuff on piano or toying with various musical implements i've accumulated.

• Members

I'm with you fellas. For the first two years I played guitar (be playing four years this December) I practiced my ass off, like 3 or 4 hard hours of drills and scales with a metronome every day. It definitely paid off. I don't have much motivation to practice hard anymore because I would be getting deep into shredz :rawk: territory, a place I just don't care to go. Any more refinement I obtain, I reckon, will be in phrasing and overall polish - which I know I'm improving in all the time through what I'm doing now. Essentially I like to think what I'm doing when I sit down to bang out a new progression or noodle a bit is one big field test.

• Members

Firstley, I shave my balls using peanut butter instead of shaving cream. Then I break into the local maternaty ward and start slapping preggo ladies with croquet mallets. After about twenty minutes of that, I run home, break every mirror inthe house and incert the shards into my cat's anus, I turn my amp all the way up, and bash my forehead against the fretboard till the strings cut through my skin. Then I like to wind down with a nice cup of sleepy time tea...

• Members

Firstley, I shave my balls using peanut butter instead of shaving cream. Then I break into the local maternaty ward and start slapping preggo ladies with croquet mallets. After about twenty minutes of that, I run home, break every mirror inthe house and incert the shards into my cat's anus, I turn my amp all the way up, and bash my forehead against the fretboard till the strings cut through my skin. Then I like to wind down with a nice cup of sleepy time tea...

It's spelled "maternity."

Geez... :rolleyes:

• Members

Carcinogen, you're just wrong. First baby croquet THEN shaving pivate ryan....
Anyway.I use a looper most of the time that I practice. Works as a metronome and springboard for different ideas. I'll try to put down 2-3 good riffs in a practice session and solo over them until I feel very comfortable. Or I just pick up an acoustic and work the fingers until my 14 month old acosts me and the guitar.

Archived