can you run the 'headphone out' into a speaker cab with good results?

hangwire

• Members

I am thinking of bringing my drum machine down to my younger brother's place this weekend... can I just run the headphone out to a speaker cab and have it work? I have a small 1x10" cab that I wanted to use, but I didn't know if it would hurt the cab or drum machine before I tried it out.

• Members

hangwire, tim's right, you need something to amplify the signal in order to power the spkr. Smokey amp?

bland, theres several more questions/answers for your situation, IE: ohms, # of spkrs, spkr efficiency, adding to the combo or cab instead of, etc etc etc, all of which brings several other folks trying to do vaguely similar things. i vote new thread.

• Members

hangwire, tim's right, you need something to amplify the signal in order to power the spkr. Smokey amp?

bland, theres several more questions/answers for your situation, IE: ohms, # of spkrs, spkr efficiency, adding to the combo or cab instead of, etc etc etc, all of which brings several other folks trying to do vaguely similar things. i vote new thread.

hijack time

ok. 2 speakers (2x12 cab) 8 ohms.. idk about effeciency.

i know how to hook it up now but, will that increase volume? aka, will i have more clean headroom? something tells me it won't affect much

• Members

hijack time

ok. 2 speakers (2x12 cab) 8 ohms.. idk about effeciency.

i know how to hook it up now but, will that increase volume? aka, will i have more clean headroom? something tells me it won't affect much

i dont know what your amp has for a stock spkr,what it wants to see for impedence (ohms) or anything (deville? deluxe? were there diff versions?), but since i'm not gonna go look it up:

depending upon the efficiency of the 'new' spkrs in comparison to the 'old' spkr, and then whether the new cab is closed back or open, you may be looking at the difference between throwing a gallon of water at somebody vs. throwing 4 litres of water at somebody.

or not.

yes, with two speakers, there will be more air being pushed than with one (of the same spkr). thats good. spkr efficiency will play in here though.

there will be an increase in headroom, but that may or may not even be an issue, if you werent already pushing the stock spkr to the point of distortion.

it'll (almost) definitely sound fuller, kinda like putting on the 'loudness' button on your stereo. your amp is doing the same work, but the output has a couple spkrs to spread out between, rather than a single spkr doing all the work. not (usually) a huuuge difference, but noticeable, definitely.

Archived