I wish I was a bass player

Destructobot

• Members

Because it seems so much easier to figure out what equipment you'd need to get the sound you want. Stingray bass, SVT, a compressor, good bass fuzz, and a preamp/eq, a 4x10 and 1x15 cab. Not cheap, but so much simpler than the sifting and winnowing we guitar players go through year after year after year.....

Well, that's the bass rig I would go with anyway. Maybe a J=bass

• Members

BEWARE!

It only seems a simpler decison and you think that's the rig you'd go with b/c you aren't one

as with so much else, 'off the rack' and "hey I copied so and so's rig" only gets you so far and doesn't tke into account the major variable...you!

It has to fit you as a player, and that's a journey

besides, electric bass 'guitar' is a dangerous gateway drug - next you'll find yourself playing doublebass

then you move to mainlining the junk...ARCO doublebass

before you know it, you are auditioning individual bows...not brands, not models...individual pieces

save yourself now!!!

play guitar with fuzz, wah, echo, and all that..in a way, it can be simpler!!

• Members

P-Bass, tube SVT, 8x10, tuner, compressor, fuzz...yup, done.

But guitar for me isn't that hard either. Yeah, I could get more complex, but I carry around a pretty basic setup and it does what I need it to do. I have six pedals on my board right now; that's the most I've ever had...

Tele, tuner, fuzz, compressor, od, phaser, delay>>Marshall>>2x12

• Members

I think part of it is that with bass you aren't really concerned with a bunch of different flavors of overdrive. You basically want a good solid clean sound, and then maybe a slightly overdriven sound and that's it. With guitar there's so many choices of speakers and amps to get different OD sounds that it's tough to just settle on one.

• Members

My ideal bass rig is honestly about as complex as my guitar setup is at the moment. In fact, let's have a comparison.

Guitar:
Jazzmaster/Telecaster->Wah->Overdrive->Fuzz->Traynor with extension cab

Bass:
Active Jazz->Q Tron->Overdrive->Fuzz->Head with 4x10 cab, maybe a 1x15

Like Destructo said, there's two things I want out of my bass rig: hi-fi and lo-fi. Tight, aggressive high fidelity response, then a softer, slightly overdriven sound for that dub tone. Crazy bass fuzz and auto-wah'd slapping on the side.

• Members

Man I feel good right now, I just submitted the third and final memo of my first semester of legal analysis and writing class. I had been agonizing for several hours over one paragraph because I couldn't find a case to support my point of view. It turned out I could prove my point by focusing on one specific word in a case I already had. Crazy {censored}.

My guitar rig is more complicated than that, mainly because I own a number of guitars and amps. If I played bass, I think one bass and one amp could very easily cover all genres, from 50's oldies all the way through insane metal. That's a tall order with guitar equipment short of SS modeling amps.

• Members

I think part of it is that with bass you aren't really concerned with a bunch of different flavors of overdrive. You basically want a good solid clean sound, and then maybe a slightly overdriven sound and that's it. With guitar there's so many choices of speakers and amps to get different OD sounds that it's tough to just settle on one.

I think you're right about this. Part of the problem with guitar is so many of us want those classic sounds of cranked amps like we hear on all those classic albums but it just not practical for most of us so we try to substitute with other gear like stompboxes.

Personally I play at home mostly and not do I not really have room for a big Marshall stack and I can't crank it to get the sound out of it anyway. Not to mention the hearing damage I would get even if I could crank it up.

• Members

all you need for great bass IMO is Passive bass>Woolly Mammoth>Mojo Hand 442 (for bass)>Tube or good solid state head>4 x 10 or 8 x 10

True - my bass player was outstanding no doubt, but when we added that mammoth and 8x6 cab to his setup....he became a different player. Plus he has an autowah instead of a regular wah...and it does nearly the same sounds, and he doesn't have to think about it. Incredible.

• Members

yeah, i'd be a gearhead no matter what instrument. who's that one guy who plays his trumpet through a pedalboard here?

I don't know but at one of the RHCP shows, Flea played his trumpet through Frusciante's pedalboard while JF did {censored} with the delay pedals and wah... it sounded pretty sweet

• Members

Totally agree. In my opinion, once bass has too many effects it sounds bad.

Archived