OD/Distortion advice

Toolkid

• Members

Right now i'm using a TS9 and a Big Muff and i've been thinking about buying a 2nd TS9 so I could combine the 2. Has anyone ever experimented with that? I just wanna be able to get a good tone for leads that sounds similar to Phish, or String Cheese Incident. I'm pretty sure that's what Trey from Phish does but i'd appreciate any advice from you guys.

• Members

It's a pretty tried and tested method, apparently Stevie Ray Vaughan did that too. You'll need to experiment a little with level and gain to get the "sweet spot" where you get the extra gain and volume you want.

That said, it doesn't HAVE to be another TS-9. They play nice with other ODs, so you could get something different.

There are a couple of double-tubescreamer pedals on the market, as well as TS/boost combos (most famously the Fulltone Fulldrive). Of the dual-TS types, this one is probably the coolest I've seen:

828_01_580.jpg

• Members

I would suggest getting a SD-9 which partners extremely well with the TS9 - mid hump of ts and the mid scoop of the sd are just made for each other. The SD will go from TS territory right up into a full on distortion pedal and sounds nice on its own but it is something really special when cascaded with the TS.

Or just get a Zim and put a couple of TS like cards in there....this replaced my ts9 sd9 setup.

• Members
My fav. is the DOD 250 running into the DOD YJM. OR the MXR dist.+ running into the DOD 250.

^^ based on your post I suggest you find a Dimarzio Very Metal pedal to cascade....I absolutely gaurantee that you will love it (once again based on you preferences above). The name is a little misleading in that it is more or a fuzz type at very high levels than a metal pedal but YJM used one cascaded into the 250 for all his early stuff. AND THE KNOBS GO TO 11!!

ede8_12.JPG

Archived