What's the consensus on univibes?

Electric Catfish

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't ask on TGP - it's a flamefest :deadhorse: I've only tried a couple, but I can sum up what I've read.

Cheap, but good - Dano Chicken Salad

Moderately priced, pretty good - Lovepedal Vibe, SweetSound Mofaux, Dunlop Univibe, Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe, Fulltone Mini-Vibe

Expensive, the best - SweetSound Mojovibe/Ultravibe, KR Megavibe, Retroman Ubervibe

others: BBE Soulvibe, Jampedals Retro-Vibe(i have one of these on order)

• Members
Don't ask on TGP - it's a flamefest
:deadhorse:
I've only tried a couple, but I can sum up what I've read.

Cheap, but good - Dano Chicken Salad

Moderately priced, pretty good - Lovepedal Vibe, SweetSound Mofaux, Dunlop Univibe, Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe, Fulltone Mini-Vibe

Expensive, the best - SweetSound Mojovibe/Ultravibe, KR Megavibe, Retroman Ubervibe

others: BBE Soulvibe, Jampedals Retro-Vibe(i have one of these on order)

Yes.

• Members

I've been searching for a good vibe effect too. I tried the Dunlop Rotovibe and the Digitech Experience.

the Rotovibe doesnt sound like Band of Gypsies at all. it is a good effect but it sounds too bright to my ears. its not bad I really dig the sound, but not like the classic vibe recordings...

• Members

I have a Dunlop Univibe that I got a couple of years ago. I really like it. Sounds like the "No Matter What" by Badfinger effect. I also have the Dunlop expression pedal which is cool. I can get a decent Leslie type effect going and the adjust the speed on the fly with the pedal. Kinda like Frampton does when using his Leslie. It's also nice a quiet. It has a Vintage/Modern button that changes the intensity of the effect. The Modern mode sounds more like a flanger. I use the vintage mode, more like a leslie.

• Members

I have a Dunlop Univibe that I got a couple of years ago. I really like it. Sounds like the "No Matter What" by Badfinger effect. I also have the Dunlop expression pedal which is cool. I can get a decent Leslie type effect going and the adjust the speed on the fly with the pedal. Kinda like Frampton does when using his Leslie. It's also nice a quiet. It has a Vintage/Modern button that changes the intensity of the effect. The Modern mode sounds more like a flanger. I use the vintage mode, more like a leslie.

thanks... I guess I need to check out Badfinger...

c

• Members
orange worker, I LOVE how you credited me in your sig!
:lol::D
:phil:

BTW, what's the word on the Dano Chicken Salad trimpot? What does it control?

(I can has Chicken Salad cuz I can has bought one from OW
:)
- thanks again!
:wave:
)

not sure what the trimpot controls, but i did have to make an agonizing decision between :phil: & :eekphil:

you're welcome :wave:

• Members

1. Sweet sound mojo vibe. Magical and ghostly simply the best i've tryed. Bob went the extra mile when a TBP switch acted up. Repaired and returned within a week.
Thank you Mr. Bob!

2. Dunlop univibe
I bought this as a backup and was really supprised how good this one is. Not as ghostly as the mojo but pretty darn good.

3. Voodoo labs Micro vibe
Not as good as the ones mentioned above but a good bang for the buck.

3. Nebula
personallity issues didn't make it on my pedal board

4. Fulltone Vibe

I'd take any of the above over this one. This is #1 on the suck factor I.M.O.

• Members

I tried out the Fulltone Deja Vibe II years ago (IIRC, it's the one with the treadle pedal built in) and wasn't all that impressed. I also recently had the Digitech EX7 and the Univibe on that wasn't great either. What I've been using for years, though, is the Prescription Electronics VibeUnit. It's an incredible lush sound, very Band of Gypsys, and right up there (from what I've read) with the Sweetsound and KR units.

• Members

I'm a huge fan of the Fulltone Vibe. I've found its best and fullest w/ the Intensity around 2 o'clock - that let's the sound of the guitar through. My Strat on the bridge pickups thru that pedal and I'm as happy as can be.

i'd say its an each is own kind of deal... just don't expect anything to sound like Band of Gypsies.... unless you're name is Jimi.

• Members

There's a new Tonefactor/Mojo Hand vibe coming out soon I think...might want to wait and see how that turns out. I've read good things.

(I have a mojo vibe and a lovepedal and like them both...the lovepedal is handy in that it runs on a battery. Good for overseas trips/times when you don't want to deal with power on the stage)

• Members
A few different companies are making univibe clones/copies/similar effects. I was just wondering about some of your opinions on what the best/most accurate/maybe not accurate but sounds good...ones are.

What is the definitive currently available "univibe"?

Most of the ones I have/have tried sound good. Different flavors.

As far as "authentic", I would say the KR Mega-Vibe sounds the most like the sounds Hendrix got.

Personally, I have a Captain Coconut 2, Deja2, and the Voodoo-Vibe. I also just tried a friends Dunlop Univibe recently and have also tried a Ultra-Vibe.

I mostly use the CC2 because it sounds good and the format is convenient. The Deja2 is a bit brighter sounding and has a bit less input headroom, still it sounds fine. The Voodoo-Vibe is probably the biggest, most hi-fi sounding, and it certainly has many more sounds on tap than the traditional 'vibe but it is rather big and it may be hard to get to an exact setting on stage.

I also used to have the Voodoo Labs one, the Micro-Vibe... that sounded GREAT... but it didn't have much input headroom... otherwise, a winner.

So, really, you need to try them out if possible.

:wave:

Archived