Nebula

Zoidberg

• Members

This is a Nebula-thread, but first things first:

I bought myself a Nano Small Stone a month back, and while it's a cool pedal, I'm not sure if it does it 100% for me.

I find that useable tones within the range of the one knob isn't so many for me, and that it's hard to tweak it. Because the knob is so sensitive, it goes from slow to crazy very fast. And I find that the sweep is a bit "ice-picky" at the top, if you know what I mean ;)

Like I said, a cool pedal, but I'm starting to look into the Nebula.

Will it suit my musical needs better? Is the range of the one knob more useful?

I use phase the most for clean funky tones and clean playing.. But also for dirt, some times.

I don't like when I get a pedal, and it sounds good.. but the effect is too weak. The Nano SS is fine in that way, is the Nebula the same? I like to really hear the effect, but still, not in a overpowering sense ;)

One thing I'm confused about, is the Tonefactor Nebula and the Mojo Hand Nebula the same pedal?

Please tell me about your Nebula-experiences ;)

• Members

ToneFactor pedals are now relabeled Mojo Hand.

Same pedal inside.

The Nebula is a two-stage phaser, so it will be more subtle than most.

But it is very musical and can cop a great vibe tone.

Thanks man! :thu:

I've no problem with "subtle" as long as it's not "weak". ;)

I have one old DOD phasor where the phaser sounds good, the problem is that it's weak.

• Members

Which dod phaser do you have? I'm curious.
:)

That's one of the few things I don't like about EHX... knobs are too sensitive.

It's a FX20 Phasor III, the old white one with two knobs. It's the only FX20 I've tried, so I dunno, it might not be working 100%? The fact is that the effect is too weak for me tho.. You hear it, but it's very anonymous. ;)

• Members

I've got a nebula last year. Its supposed to be a phase 45/dod type phaser. I had a orignal 45 that was a cool pedal that had no sweep noise but had a full kinda sweep and a clarity thing going on that I was hoping for in the nebula. The nebula aint bad but its nothing like the 45 imo. The sweep is more chewy almost like a vibe or more of a woble. I was somewhat disapointed with the nebula and it was 150.00 bucks. It doesn't really do a vibe that great either, that is if your used to a good vibe like the Mojo or the dunlop. If its a univibe thing your looking for and only have a 150.00 Bob Sweet could hook you up with something or get a voodoo labs micro vibe for 150 something.

• Members

I've got a nebula last year. Its supposed to be a phase 45/dod type phaser. I had a orignal 45 that was a cool pedal that had no sweep noise but had a full kinda sweep and a clarity thing going on that I was hoping for in the nebula. The nebula aint bad but its nothing like the 45 imo. The sweep is more chewy almost like a vibe or more of a woble. I was somewhat disapointed with the nebula and it was 150.00 bucks. It doesn't really do a vibe that great either, that is if your used to a good vibe like the Mojo or the dunlop. If its a univibe thing your looking for and only have a 150.00 Bob Sweet could hook you up with something or get a voodoo labs micro vibe for 150 something.

I haven't tried the Nebula yet. I have a script logo MXR Phase 45 that sounds magical! I've owned it for 20 years or so - I've since converted it to true bypass and added a proper 9vDC power jack. It's makes for a better vibe effect than most vibe pedals.

My brother has been looking for a Phase 45 and I had hoped the Nebula would be a viable alternative. The reviews I've read of the Nebula have been mixed though. I'd sure like to be able to A/B one with my 45 but I won't spend $150 to do it. Maybe one will pop up in a local boutique shop sometime in the future.

• Members

I haven't tried the Nebula yet. I have a script logo MXR Phase 45 that sounds magical! I've owned it for 20 years or so - I've since converted it to true bypass and added a proper 9vDC power jack. It's makes for a better vibe effect than most vibe pedals.

My brother has been looking for a Phase 45 and I had hoped the Nebula would be a viable alternative. The reviews I've read of the Nebula have been mixed though. I'd sure like to be able to A/B one with my 45 but I won't spend $150 to do it. Maybe one will pop up in a local boutique shop sometime in the future.

Well then, you know what i'm talking about when i say how the 45 sounds. enhances your vibrato, not to strong or weak but just right. The 45 is a sweet pedal and i've been looking for one for a while too.

I just order the script phase 90 ri which is a 4 stage like a vibe. I'll tell the world what i think about it in a few dayz:thu:

• Members

Well then, you know what i'm talking about when i say how the 45 sounds. enhances your vibrato, not to strong or weak but just right. The 45 is a sweet pedal and i've been looking for one for a while too.

I just order the script phase 90 ri which is a 4 stage like a vibe. I'll tell the world what i think about it in a few dayz:thu:

Ah yes! The script Phase 90 sounds awesome! That's what my brother has on his board. He wants a 45 to pair with it. Both are amazing, no doubt! Enjoy! :thu:

• Members

It's a FX20 Phasor III, the old white one with two knobs. It's the only FX20 I've tried, so I dunno, it might not be working 100%? The fact is that the effect is too weak for me tho.. You hear it, but it's very anonymous.
;)

thats 2-phase for ya. the trimpot inside could maybe need a lil tweak, but really, 2-phase just gives a little movement. thats all it does. the nebula is, pretty much, the fx20 w/out the regen(?) control.

check a phase 90, or better yet, an older mij phase 90 rip (they're often a bit 'softer' sounding around the edges). its 4-stage like your EH, but a diff design (FET vs OTA), so the flavor is a bit different -- a bit more trebly, and adds a lil drive by default (the orig designer said its just as much a distortion as modulation). it also doesnt try to get into OTT sounds at all, meaning pretty much all the spots on the knob are useful in some context.

• Members

thats 2-phase for ya. the trimpot inside could maybe need a lil tweak, but really, 2-phase just gives a little movement. thats all it does. the nebula is, pretty much, the fx20 w/out the regen(?) control.

check a phase 90, or better yet, an older mij phase 90 rip (they're often a bit 'softer' sounding around the edges). its 4-stage like your EH, but a diff design (FET vs OTA), so the flavor is a bit different -- a bit more trebly, and adds a lil drive by default (the orig designer said its just as much a distortion as modulation). it also doesnt try to get into OTT sounds at all, meaning pretty much all the spots on the knob are useful in some context.

Aah, I see! Thanks for a helpful post! :)

So, if I were to go all the way with a new phaser, maybe something like the Retro-sonic phaser would work for me?

Archived