Roland RD300SX + 700SX Owners - Pls. Check In...

GigMan

• Members

I went to Gtr. Cntr. on my lunch today - tried out the Roland RD300SX + 700SX, using my headphones. Found them both to be excellent-sounding & was even happy w/the action on both - last time I played the RD300SX I found it to be mushy action but today it seemed ok to me.

One thing that I didn't like was that you have to hit the Inc./Dec. buttons to go up in numerical patches, instead of punching a direct number of each sound - unless I didn't understand it. I'm thinking that hitting the Inc. button 10 times to get to the 11th patch in a Category (Piano, Elect. Piano, for example...) would be cumbersome on a gig. And don't tell me to pre-program patch changes - that's crap: I need to be able to call up ANY patch at ANY time on the fly on my gigs.

I also tried the Yam. S90ES - much more complex interface... of course, many more sounds as well. Frankly I found the pianos to be a bit bright thru the phones on the S90ES... :eek:

I'm interested to hear from RD300SX + 700SX owners - how hey handle patch changes on a gig. :cool:

• Members

I went to Gtr. Cntr. on my lunch today - tried out the Roland RD300SX + 700SX, using my headphones. Found them both to be excellent-sounding & was even happy w/the action on both - last time I played the RD300SX I found it to be mushy action but today it seemed ok to me.

One thing that I didn't like was that you have to hit the Inc./Dec. buttons to go up in numerical patches, instead of punching a direct number of each sound - unless I didn't understand it. I'm thinking that hitting the Inc. button 10 times to get to the 11th patch in a Category (Piano, Elect. Piano, for example...) would be cumbersome on a gig. And don't tell me to pre-program patch changes - that's crap: I need to be able to call up ANY patch at ANY time on the fly on my gigs.

I also tried the Yam. S90ES - much more complex interface... of course, many more sounds as well. Frankly I found the pianos to be a bit bright thru the phones on the S90ES...
:eek:

I'm interested to hear from RD300SX + 700SX owners - how hey handle patch changes on a gig.
:cool:

Gig, is the piano sample exactly the same quality on the 300SX and 700SX?How much is the 300 and how much does it weigh, if ya know? Internal speakers, wall wart? Any good B-3 Jimmy Smith organs, Wurly, authenic Rhodes on there and can you EQ the piano in real time? I only care about those sounds, don't need strings or brass or filmscore pads, have all that in my MIDI rig anyway. Is the piano warm and ambient or is it more brite sounding/tinny in mids, like better for rock? I need a warm jazz keyboard and the Rolands I haven't tried yet. Many questions I know, but if you have time to answer cool and thanx

katt

• Members

The RD300 does not have the new piano introduced on the SRX-11 card but the RD700SX does. No internal speakers. The RD700SX does not have a wall wart, not sure about the 300. The RD700SX has a really nice modeled organ for a ROMpler with adjustable drawbar settings, but not quite up to the dedicated Roland organ clone. I don't like playing organ on hammer action keys so I hardly use that feature.

• Members

Gig, is the piano sample exactly the same quality on the 300SX and 700SX?How much is the 300 and how much does it weigh, if ya know? Internal speakers, wall wart? Any good B-3 Jimmy Smith organs, Wurly, authenic Rhodes on there and can you EQ the piano in real time? I only care about those sounds, don't need strings or brass or filmscore pads, have all that in my MIDI rig anyway. Is the piano warm and ambient or is it more brite sounding/tinny in mids, like better for rock? I need a warm jazz keyboard and the Rolands I haven't tried yet. Many questions I know, but if you have time to answer cool and thanx

katt

Roland RD300SX - $1,395 USD

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ROL-RD300SX.html

Roland RD700SX - $2,195 USD

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ROL-RD700SX.html

I don't know if the samples are EXACTLY the same - if not, they're very similar. The RD700SX has many more variations (of piano and everything else) than the 300SX - as well it should, considering the 700SX is 800 bucks more than the 300SX.

The 300SX is much lighter than the 700SX - 34lbs. 3oz. vs. 54lbs. 1oz.

You have EQ control knobs on both models - a bit more extensive on the RD700SX... again, it makes sense considering the additional cost.

But for a lightweight 88key dig. piano - the RD300SX does seem pretty cool. I was suprised at how my fingers took to it today (the action), since when I last played it seemed mushy and not pleasant. Today it seemed fine.

Could be that I had my headphones on today and the sound was more "immediate" than when playing thru an amp, which is what I did last time... :confused::eek:

The Yamaha S90ES seems way more complicated but in fact it probably has a lot more sounds onboard. Also, the action seemed a bit heavy on the Yam. S90ES - way heavier than the RD300SX and slightly heavier than the RD700SX.

Unfortunately GC doesn't carry Kurzweil - I would've loved to compare the Kurz. PC2XO at the same time. ...and eventually, the PC3 as well - when they get it to market someday. :thu:

• Members

The RD300 does not have the new piano introduced on the SRX-11 card but the RD700SX does. No internal speakers. The RD700SX does not have a wall wart, not sure about the 300. The RD700SX has a really nice modeled organ for a ROMpler with adjustable drawbar settings, but not quite up to the dedicated Roland organ clone. I don't like playing organ on hammer action keys so I hardly use that feature.

I forgot to check "wall-wart status" :p but I think Rabid is right - the 700SX had a 3-pronged attachment on it for a standard power cord (for a built-in pwr. supply) but the RD300SX had a little post on it for the power connection of a wall-wart or lump-in-the line attachment... booooooooooo... :cry:

That's one reason alone NOT to get the RD300SX - friggin' wall-wart. I hate 'em. :mad:

• Members

I don't know if the samples are EXACTLY the same - if not, they're very similar. The RD700SX has many more variations (of piano and everything else) than the 300SX - as well it should, considering the 700SX is 800 bucks more than the 300SX.

There is actually a lot of difference in the samples, plus the organ modeling of the 700SX, plus two expansion slots for SRX cards in the RD700SX. Oh, and they have different actions.

• Members

There is actually a lot of difference in the samples, plus the organ modeling of the 700SX, plus two expansion slots for SRX cards in the RD700SX. Oh, and they have different actions.

yah - the action is heavier on the 700SX but as I said, when I played it today I did NOT find the 300SX action to be awful at all, just lighter...

Rabid - do you know how to change patches on these 'boards by some kind of direct numerical entry or is using the Inc./Dec. buttons within each category the only way? I guess, aside from setting up user presets ahead of time... :rolleyes:

• Members

One thing I do like on the Yam. S90ES is the modulation wheel :love: - which is an easy way to change organ tremolo or adjust Leslie simulation speed, I think...

Neither the Roland RD700SX or the RD300SX have a modulation wheel - 3 demerits! :o

• Members

Wow, looks like many differences between the 300 and 700 and of course the 700 costs more and is heavier.

I prefer 88 or 76 keyboards with real piano type feel, weighted or semi-weighted. I know about playing organ sounds on weighted keys, compared to a real B-3, it's a bit weird to get used to. My Privia has 3 feel settings that can be tweaked for what key response you want, perhaps the 300-700 does too, lite or heavy. Some dudes are pounders, others want more feather type touch. I'm glad the feel can be modified and customized on some of these new boards

I agree, that wall wart thing on KB HAS GOT TO GO!! Almost everything I ever owned whether keyboard or MIDI mod, those things burn out, always at gigs or rehearsals. Radio Shack sometimes can match them up, sometimes not.

I think the manufacturers feel internal power supplies add too much weight to lower end products and put the heavy duty PS in the more pro line series, who knows. But don't even some of the 88 key Kurzweils have wall warts? My Kurz 76 Stage Piano had one that burned up and RadioShack couldn't help me with that one.

The Privia has the best KB key action I prefer, especially for a $500 KB, much better feel for my touch than even the high end studio model Korg Triton series. What;s right for one, maybe wrong for another. I learned another lesson here. Take your own set of headphones that have the flatest sound to really check out a KB at GC, don't rely on the studio monitors they are hooked up to, some of those sound great, some not so great from my experiences.

katt

• Members

GigMan,

I just went through the same search recently. I agonized over which keyboard to get for almost 2 years. My wife laughed at me because I just had a hard time picking one. I played all of them (except for the Kurz) numerous times and swung between the RD300SX, RD700SX, S90ES, MO8, and the PC1x. I think the weakest of the group in my opinion was the RD300SX, but it was also pretty inexpensive compared to the others...felt cheaper though. The interface was weak, and like you said, you have to use the inc/dec button. I like to see patch names... I didn't notice the briteness you mentioned for the S90ES, but I did think some of the acoustic piano patches sounded a bit bass heavy. Still a beautiful sound.

You definitely can't go wrong with any of the decisions, and if you wait around for the PC3 you have another probable strong contender. Good luck, hopefully you find the decision easier than I did. :)

• Members

I use setups on my Rd700sx. Thats the way to go. And you can name them after the song u are playing. Its easy. Plus you can number the setup

• Members

GigMan,

I just went through the same search recently. I agonized over which keyboard to get for almost 2 years. My wife laughed at me because I just had a hard time picking one. I played all of them (except for the Kurz) numerous times and swung between the RD300SX, RD700SX, S90ES, MO8, and the PC1x. I think the weakest of the group in my opinion was the RD300SX, but it was also pretty inexpensive compared to the others...felt cheaper though. The interface was weak, and like you said, you have to use the inc/dec button. I like to see patch names... I didn't notice the briteness you mentioned for the S90ES, but I did think some of the acoustic piano patches sounded a bit bass heavy. Still a beautiful sound.

You definitely can't go wrong with any of the decisions, and if you wait around for the PC3 you have another probable strong contender. Good luck, hopefully you find the decision easier than I did.
:)

...so noguud - don't leave us hanging: which one did you end up buying? :confused:

• Members

Hey Gigman,

How have you been?

I've had my RD 300SX for 2 years now and gig with it all the time. I've gotten used to the action and actually like it now especially since I midi a Nord Electro rack to it often for organ and better EP sounds. The action is good for piano and passable for playing organ. I'm doing about a dozen gigs a month and refuse to schleep around anykeyboard over 40lbs. Im too old for that {censored}e....lol

Your question about changing patches on the fly is a good one. Not having a data wheel, or the ability to input numerics ,makes it tricky. The only way to do it on the fly is go to the catagory and hit that increment button over and over I'm afraid. But I've found that usually I only use the same 2-3 piano, bass, pad,string, ep sounds...etc. Once you remember your fav in that catagory its like 3-4 seconds to get to it.

You do have 32 setups you can use and I've got them all filled with diffent splits and layers with appropriate affects.

So to sum up: It's seems tedious and tricky in the beginning. Once your familiar with your board, I've found it's not a big issue for me.

Any other questions, let me know. I've thought about upgrading to the FP4 for the Superior grand sound (I have the Ultimate Grande in the 300SX)but it's ony slightly better I think. Everybody seems to rave about the action on the FP4 and diss the 300SX and maybe it's just me but they seem so similiar that it doesnt seem like an upgrade. Plus it's easier to use as a controller and I need that when running the Electro rack. I'm sticking with it for now until they come up with a Yamaha ES100 or Roland RD800SX that has all those great features and sounds and doesnt weigh 60 lbs or more in a soft case. lol

Ewall

• Members

Hey Ed -

I was thinking you'd check in on this thread, since you're an RD300SX user... I almost emailed you directly - just too lazy :o:lol:

It's funny - about the action on the 300SX: I tried it about 2 yrs. ago and really didn't like it. Yet, when I tried it yesterday it seemed ok. The Yam. S90 action seemed heavy and overbearing by comparison! :p

And Re: the Inc./Dec. buttons - I kinda figured that it's not that big of a deal, once you get Setups going and/or you pick your 2-3 fave patches within each category.

I'd love to hear you & your 300SX in action sometime Ed, email me if you're going to be back at that place in Basking Ridge or anywhere else North of New Hope PA, where you often play. :thu:

• Members

Gary,

Yep, I havent been posting much recently, because I've been ungodly busy with things but I had to in your case. :-)

Ya know, I dont gig that much north of New Hope anymore. Everything is Bucks Cty PA, South Jersey, Philly, even Delaware. I do have one north on June 21st. The Highland Park Street Festival in Highland Park NJ. from 5-8pm with this great female singer/songwriter, Sandy Zio. I have it on my website edwall.biz but I dont have a link there yet. I'll get that up this week so take a look later if you think you might get there. I'll let you check out the Roland while I'm taking a break if you wish. I'll probably have it in my Bose L1.

Ed

• Members

...so noguud - don't leave us hanging: which one did you end up buying?
:confused:

Sorry for not mentioning. I ended up getting the PC1x. I drove a little over 4 hours just to try one before buying, and I was pretty pleased with it and bought one that day. The PC1x seemed to offer a lot of bang for the buck. To be honest, I think I could have been very happy with any of them. Especially the RD700SX, I spent a lot of time noodling with it in stores. :thu:

• Members

Ed, can you randomly access those setups then? I hope so. Three to four seconds to change is too much time for live work.

Yes you can. For changing sounds or patches within the same song you can program your setups and step through them. But keep in mind, if you do a lot of this, there's only 32 setups and they'll go quickly. I'm usually ok just by using splits/ or layers and an expression pedal along with set-ups I've programmed. If I'm going to be using a lot of sounds and they come really fast, I bring my Triton TR and use 2 boards. I rarely need to do that, however.

The 3-4 seconds of selecting patches..... I was referring more to finding what you need when a song finishes and getting up the next sound you need if it's not one you've set-up beforehand. "on the fly" so to speak. Ewall

• Members

One last thing I forgot to address. Yes, unfortunatly it has an external power supply but they place it in the middle of your power cable and not at the end where it will take up 3 spots on your power strip. So that's nice.

However, your still screwed if you ever lose the special power cable so you it's good to keep a spare.

• Members

Actually 32 would work for me. I'm currently using just 16 (the number of pads on a Fantom S).

I'll take another look at one next trip to GC. For now, I'm personally leaning towards a MO8. I can live with it's piano. Every time I look at the S90ES, I remember that I'm going to be moving it over a thousand times during it's gigging life and back off. The MO8 is pretty close to what I'm using now in size and weight, an SL-880. Wish it were smaller, but I've been getting by with what I've got. But I'm absolutely not going bigger!!!

• Members

Every time I look at the S90ES, I remember that I'm going to be moving it over a thousand times during it's gigging life and back off. The MO8 is pretty close to what I'm using now in size and weight, an SL-880. Wish it were smaller, but I've been getting by with what I've got. But I'm absolutely not going bigger!!!

At 46.2 lbs. - for an 88key 'board, the Mo' 8 is not bad... :thu:

...but is the piano on the Mo' 8 passable, even if it's not quite up to the snuff of the S90ES?

• Members

I also tried the Yam. S90ES - much more complex interface... of course, many more sounds as well. Frankly I found the pianos to be a bit bright thru the phones on the S90ES...
:eek:

I'm interested to hear from RD300SX + 700SX owners - how hey handle patch changes on a gig.
:cool:

I just picked up a 300sx ...I find that i tend to use the organ 3, the rhodes and the piano 7 ......Its a pretty basic stage piano. I have to admit i have not explored all the features of this board. I guess i just enjoy playing it too much to really dig into the manual and learn the ins and outs of all it will do. For me that would require a magnifying glass..... i am a basic keyboard guy .... it has the 3 patches that I like. I like the large digital display ,, my vision really sucks ,,, so its simple large setting numbers are just what i need. I played everything in the store and was on no budget ..... i picked the 300 due to its wt , its simplicity ,, and the three patches i talked about earlier in the post. I am a keep it basic kind of keyboard guy. If i have a piano , a organ and a rhodes ,, i am happy . rat

• Members

I know your decision is made, but I picked up a RD700sx last month and I love the thing...just in case someone wanted another opinion on this perpetual topic.

I think the action is really nice...throw in a SRX expansion and you have a lot of bases covered. So much so I am not messing much with my Micron, Fusion, Wavestation, etc. right now, but the RD still has that "New Keyboard Smell" and I am focusing on just learning to play piano better...

It is easy to split and layer, probably the easiest of all the boards I've messed with.

You can directly enter patch #'s without having to increment step through them all if that did not get adressed directly in the thread.

Archived