Fuzz/Clean volume issues

joncyberboy

• Members

Right i'm having loads of volume issues with fuzzes and i just dont know why.

1st my gear:

Epiphone Dot loaded with P90 in the neck----> Boss FZ-2 set to clean boost ----> USA Bog Muff or Zoom Ultra Fuzz ------> Ampeg VT-22.

Now i get a great clean, a great overdrive and a great fuzz sound. But however high i have the volumes on the fuzzes i find when i kick them on i lose volume. Maybe only 5-10% but i always feel the dirt should be LOUDEr than the overdive sound.

I have tried different amp settings (dont worry i use plenty of mids), different guitars, different fuzzes, but i always get the same problem. The only fix i can see is put the fuzz in a loop with an EQ doing a volume boost.

Does anyone else have this problem?

• Members

I can't speak for the Boss or Zoom, but I can assure you that the Big Muff doesn't have volume drop.

Try just guitar>Big Muff>amp and see if there's a drop. Put all the knobs on the Big Muff at 1 o'clock. It should boost the volume a bit with those settings.

• Members

O, tried it all at 1 o'clock and its not so much the volume as the body/sound. It 'feels' quieter and is definitely not louder.

Maybe i have a duff muff?

That's really odd. With mine on those settings it boosts the volume and sounds pretty massive.

Try cranking the volume. with the other knobs at 1:00. This should be a big increase in volume when you turn it on.

Are you testing this with ONLY the Muff in the chain?

What are you using for a power supply?

• Members

i've come across this with big muffs.

i've owned 3 and all i've had a problem with them not being loud enough.

people will tell you yours in broken, but its not.

i ended up jumpering the resistor on the emitter of the final transistor. this gives an insane amount of volume available.

i think the main problem you're coming up against is the mid scoop thats inherent to big muffs. you could change some stuff to even it out, or even add a slight boost.

• Members

That's really odd. With mine on those settings it boosts the volume and sounds pretty massive.

Try cranking the volume. with the other knobs at 1:00. This should be a big increase in volume when you turn it on.

Are you testing this with ONLY the Muff in the chain?

What are you using for a power supply?

I'm using just the muff at the moment to keep it simple and am using a battery to power the pedal.

I have tried a new battery too.

hmm

• Members

i've come across this with big muffs.

i've owned 3 and all i've had a problem with them not being loud enough.

people will tell you yours in broken, but its not.

i ended up jumpering the resistor on the emitter of the final transistor. this gives an insane amount of volume available.

i think the main problem you're coming up against is the mid scoop thats inherent to big muffs. you could change some stuff to even it out, or even add a slight boost.

Ok this mod sounds like the way forward becuase i think you're right....the lack of mids is the problem.

I tried an EQ after it with no volume boost but increased the mid range slightly. Huge difference!

So do i want to mod if for more mids or more volume? What'd you suggest? Also i have no idea how to do these mods so are there online instructions?

• Members

Most fuzz & distortion is designed to outvolume a normal pickup. They won't outdo a big clean boost, and even extra high-output pickups could be an issue if you play really hard. Other than that, there are still psychoacoustic issues and the amp could distort. I think neck pickup would also decrease subjective volume. The Muff's output section is designed to run as high as possible and still be clean at all settings -- output is highest with the tone on bass and bassy input, or tone on max and trebly input.

• Members

I would try an EQ and/or a buffer or better clean boost in the beginning of the chain. What you're probably experiencing is a mid scoop which makes the tone a lot more distant, as a result of the natural EQ of a big muff. Also, if you're using overdrive into the fuzz, you'll tend to experience volume drop when the overdrive level is higher than the level of the fuzz pedal. I don't really know why this is..but it's happened to me before.

• Members
I would try an EQ and/or a buffer or better clean boost in the beginning of the chain. What you're probably experiencing is a mid scoop which makes the tone a lot more distant, as a result of the natural EQ of a big muff. Also, if you're using overdrive into the fuzz, you'll tend to experience volume drop when the overdrive level is higher than the level of the fuzz pedal. I don't really know why this is..but it's happened to me before.

Same for me. When I set my Double-Muff to higher volume levels, I get volume drop from my Big Muff. It just seems to be an odd quirk. It doesn't happen when the Double-Muff is set slightly louder than my clean channel though. :idk:

OP, have you tried simply boosting the mids on your amp?

• Members

Yep, i run the mids high on my amp.

Seems like maybe i have quite high output pickups and maybe that's an issue and why it seems to also effect my Zoom UltraFuzz.

Maybe i need to switch them out for something weaker.

Also the EQ thing seems to make sense to me. If i have the Muff with tone all the way down there isn;lt such a problem with volume drop, but i just dont like the fact i miss so many of the highs!
I like the tone around 11 o'clock, the drive the same and i have the volume for now all the way up.
I guess maybe i should put the muff in a TB loop with an EQ right after boosting mids.

• Members

you can add a pot to control the amount of scoop, in a kinda crude way.

i've done it and it sounds pretty cool really. you need to change a resistor in the tone control section.

its usually a 39k resistor (orange white orange i think), take this out and put a 50k pot in its place. that pot will go from even more scoop than standard to a pretty hefty mid boost.

enjoy!

• Members

Right i'm having loads of volume issues with fuzzes and i just dont know why.

1st my gear:

Epiphone Dot loaded with P90 in the neck----> Boss FZ-2 set to clean boost ----> USA Bog Muff or Zoom Ultra Fuzz ------> Ampeg VT-22.

Now i get a great clean, a great overdrive and a great fuzz sound. But however high i have the volumes on the fuzzes i find when i kick them on i lose volume. Maybe only 5-10% but i always feel the dirt should be LOUDEr than the overdive sound.

I have tried different amp settings (dont worry i use plenty of mids), different guitars, different fuzzes, but i always get the same problem. The only fix i can see is put the fuzz in a loop with an EQ doing a volume boost.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Stupid Question- Have you tried switching your pedal order?

Archived