Talk me into/out of selling my 18v Dano Cool Cat and getting a Clone Theory

bikehorn

• Members

The Cool Cat is the only chorus pedal I've ever owned. Actually I'm a little attached to it because it was the first pedal I ever bought, but something about the sound isn't doing it for me anymore. I still like it better than most choruses I've tried, especially given that a lot of chorus pedals are just garbage... but I need a change of scenery.

The other day I went into a local music shop and tried an EHX Clone Theory. I really liked it, not least because it also was a vibrato which is something else I've wanted. I always wanted that Dinosaur Jr "The Lung" vibrato sound that J Mascis had, and this thing has a good approximation of that sound...although at lower speeds I didn't really find vibrato to be all that interesting or useful. Still the chorus was nice(main reason I want it) and had a certain transparency the CC doesn't. I'm really thinking about ditching the Dano for the Clone Theory.

The original reason I bought a chorus at all was to put it before my delay(which I didn't even own at that point, but planned to get) so I could play U2 songs and get that modulated echo sound. That's still the main sound I use it for, as I don't usually have it on for a lot of other things(I hate the sound of chorus with anything more than mild OD). I prefer phasers for modulation.

So if you were me, what would you do? If you were selling an 18 volt Cool Cat, how much would you sell it for? I don't have a good idea of the resale value of these things. Do 18 volt models command higher prices than newer 9 volt CCs?

• Members

just get the clone theory and keep the cool cat!

I'm not a big enough chorus user to justify having multiples. I even thought about the Line 6 Space Chorus, but the only thing I trust Line 6 for presently is the Echo Park. :love:

Besides, I need the proceeds to get a compressor.

Archived