How Many Distortion/Overdrive Pedals?

Mer2112

• Members

I try to keep it to two and a fuzz. The fuzz doesn't get a whole lot of use though. For some reason my FZ-3 seems to have a real volume drop, even with the volume knob set to about 1 or 2. I really enjoy using it in conjunction with my rat and a trem.

But right now i'm using a Monte TriGain DS-1 and an 80s smallbox Rat. Rat covers low gain dirt (which is just about heaven to me...i'm not a fan of my TS9 anymore), and I have the DS-1 to do a marshally type drive. I'm thinking I'd like a Crunchbox to fill the role of what the DS-1 does, though. Although, I must admit, I've never tried it, so I can't really say it fits the bill. I am a big fan of the Fulltone OCD, though.

• Members

I'm using a RC booster (light breakup), BB Preamp (neutral distortion), Rat II (bright heavier distortion), Drivetrain (TS), then a Zoom PD01 as my solo boost (great pedal for this btw) with my Mark I reissue set up just on the verge of breaking up. I still need one more...a good fuzz, then I think I'll have everything covered.

• Members

At the moment, 2. I may add another SD-1 at some point soon (before I get Keeley mods :)). I'm thinking that eventually I'll probably swap out my Guv'nor for a TS-9 Baked mod, and add a Keeley DS-1 Ultra, and possibly a Lovepedal Eternity on the side.

:thu:

• Members
At the moment, 2. I may add another SD-1 at some point soon (before I get Keeley mods
:)
). I'm thinking that eventually I'll probably swap out my Guv'nor for a TS-9 Baked mod, and add a Keeley DS-1 Ultra, and possibly a Lovepedal Eternity on the side.

:thu:

You could just buy my Keeley SD-1 (5star mod) for a decent price ;)

• Members

I have three distortion pedals that I like to use interchangeably with my Twin...

- BYOC Shredder

- Marshall Jackhammer

- Demeter FOD-1

Of the three, the Demeter probably gets the most use. The Shredder is pretty awesome and I use it occasionally, but not quite as often as I used to. Ditto for the Jackhammer, which I got before the Demeter and hardly use at all anymore save for a handful of songs.

Having a wide range is pretty critical, especially if you don't have a high-gain channel on your amp. My feeling is that it's going to be hard to find the one magical dirt box that does everything.

Once the holiday season is over and my bank statement isn't as scary, I want to pick up one of the new BYOC Large Beaver kits. Hopefully they'll be ready come January. :)

Archived