How Many Distortion/Overdrive Pedals?

Mer2112

• Members

Hey There,

I'm wondering how many distortion and overdrive pedals people are using. I find myself liking a real variety of tones so I've got an OCD, a Rat 2, a Pocket Metal Muff and am probably going to get a Tonebone Classic.

Do you guys use a variety too or pretty much stick to one pedal?

Thanks for the input,

Mer

• Members

My next purchase is a proco rat 2, which will bring the total to 2 distortion pedals. I have a Boss HM-3 that I seldom use (usually amp distortion) for now, but I figure the Rat is a good distortion for me. I'll probably wind up replacing the HM-3 with some kind of fuzz pedal.

My plan is to have a solid, conservative distortion pedal and a crazy fuzz pedal and maybe an EQ pedal or boost pedal for solos

• Members

I have my Seymour Duncan SFX-03 and I'm REALLY content with it. I also use a GE-7 for my boost...... eventually I want to add some sort of fuzz pedal to my line up and either a tube screamer type pedal or a simple boost pedal for solos... .when I get my new amp I'll see which boost option would be best

• Members

I have been running a Monte Allums BOSS SD-1 and a Phat Modded BD-2 .... but I sold off the SD-1 in favor of a ZVEX Box of Rock (hoping to buy one soon) and I think I'm gonna send my BD-2 to JHS mods for his BlueDrive mod.

So ... two.

Maybe I'll add a Skreddy Mayo too sometime.

• Members

For some reason, options freak me out. I don't like it! I've been using the beano side of the sunlion for a nice hairy OD for my neck pup... but the mjm blues driver does a nice bluesy breakup... and I just got a keeley RAT in a trade, and that does a sick heavy distortion and almost fuzz like lead tone, gilmouresque... but I can never decide which one to use!!!!! drives me nuts. makes me want to clear off my board and start over, or narrow down to one... but then I find myself wanting MORE variety. i is crazy.

• Members

How do you like the Line 6 Uber Metal? What settings do you use?

When you need that Pantera "crush your chest in" sound, the Uber does it best.

I run it with both mids at noon, bass @ 2 o'clock, treble almost off, gate on 1, gain just past noon, in the middle setting. For extra oomph I run it thru the eq.

• Members

I just bought a Hafler T3 preamp with 2 drive channels. Sold my Bad Monkey and my RAT2. Loved the RAT2 though. Gave me pains to sell it. The Hafler was noisy with distortion pedals in front of it. But I'm gonna build a loop switch and put my Big Muff and Doubleshot in it to run parallel to the T3.

Also sold a DOD FX100 Even Harmonic Overdrive and a DOD Supra Distortion. The FX100 was pretty cool. It had a bright almost metallic sound and much more crunch range than the Bad Monkey.

• Members

Hey There,

I'm wondering how many distortion and overdrive pedals people are using. I find myself liking a real variety of tones so I've got an OCD, a Rat 2, a Pocket Metal Muff and am probably going to get a Tonebone Classic.

Do you guys use a variety too or pretty much stick to one pedal?

Thanks for the input,

Mer

I keep a variety of them on hand and swap them out as my tastes change...I also maintain a rack rig that uses pedals in a MIDI loop switcher and a smaller version of the rack rig in pedalboard form (same basic pedals with fewer bells and whistles for gigs where a rack setup is less practical).

I have...

2 FoxRox ZIMs each with a VT card in Channel "A" and a T+2 card in Channel "B"

FoxRox Captain Coconut 2 pedal

FoxRox Captain Coconut 2 rack

FoxRox Hot Silicon Fuzz

2 Keeley Modded Blues Drivers

Keeley Java Boost

Keeley Modded RAT

2 Keeley Katanas

2 Maxon Vintage Series OD-820 Overdrive Pros

2 Maxon Vintage Series DS-830 Distortion Masters

Skreddy Top Fuel

Skreddy Screwdriver

Skreddy Mayo (modded to Pink Flesh specs)

Skreddy custom Pink Flesh w/footswitchable mid boost and volume

Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff

Euthymia ICBM Fuzz

Boss SD-1

Timmy Overdrive

• Members

Route 66, FDII Mosfet, Barber Small Fry. The small fry is hands down the most versatile pedal I own. It does a really nice thunderous higher gain sound to a super smooth bluesy tone. This one is a keeper!

I was looking at the Barber pedals myself. The sound clips on the Small Fry are really sweet. To my ears, the EQ and harmonics seem to have a little bit of a Shiva vibe. Very warm sounding pedal.

Archived