Marshall Guv'nor 2

KightTemplar

• Members

Hello Folks

I just got my first tube amp, the Fender Blues Jr. :love:

But I also wanna get the Marshall Guvnor 2, is this pedal sounds well through a Fender BJ? I woiuld like to hear opinions from ppl who have this combination.

I am looking for that great Marshall tone for blues/classic rock. But can this pedal handle more modern tone and some metal, when the mid is scooped?

and how does it sound comparing to DS1? Better than that Orange pedal from BOSS?

THNX!

• Members

Hello Folks

I just got my first tube amp, the Fender Blues Jr.
:love:
But I also wanna get the Marshall Guvnor 2, is this pedal sounds well through a Fender BJ? I woiuld like to hear opinions from ppl who have this combination.

I am looking for that great Marshall tone for blues/classic rock. But can this pedal handle more modern tone and some metal, when the mid is scooped?

and how does it sound comparing to DS1? Better than that Orange pedal from BOSS?

THNX!

I can't speak for the Boss, but the Marshall Guv'nor+ is garbage. Sure, it looks fancy, and seems like it's built like a tank, but it isn't. First of all, despite the rumors, it is NOT true-bypass. Now, in many cases, this wouldn't be an issue, however, the buffer that is used is horrible, and causes a lot of tone suckage.

Next, the sounds aren't that special out of the pedal. I play through a soild state Marshall, and in my opinion, it's distortion is a lot closer to traditional Marshall distortion than anything the Guv'nor+ puts out.

I'd suggest something else. There are much better dirt pedals out there for less money. IMO, even the Boss SD-1 sounds better, and you won't have to worry about tone suckage. :idk:

I'd suggest checking these out;

Boss SD-1

Electro-Harmonix Double-Muff (simple, slightly fuzzy low-mid gain overdrive - my personal favorite.)

ProCo RAT

Or, you could try a boost pedal to push your amp into higher levels of overdrive. Check into the Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 for this.

:thu:

• Members

Actually, I have a Vintage Rat. This pedal is great, but sounds too fuzzy and harsh to my ears when I turn the filter to the treble side. That's why I am considering the Guvnor Plus for ocassional metal playing.

That's another thing - it won't do high gain AT ALL. It's a low-mid gain pedal. IMO, it won't even handle medium-gain punk sounds.

• Members

I'd say it's an acceptable level of gain for a humbucker guitar, maybe not for a single coil guitar. Certainly puts out more gain than a stock SD-1.

IIRC, and i may not, the bypass problem everyone talks about has to do with the Deep knob and how it's placed after the volume knob in the circuit such that unless the deep knob is kept all the way up (thus setting the pot's impedance at 0) a little bit of effected signal will "leak" through in bypass.

Here's the thing, the EQ is just nottttttt effective on the GV-2. I just don't think it has anywhere near enough mid-to-treble response to cop a brash Marshall tone. I would still rather have a Guv'nor than a DS-1 though. I've never played a guv'nor through a blues jr... it's definitely not a pedal that all amps take to so make sure you try before you buy. I imagine most stores have fender amps that you could run one through, no?

• Members

That's another thing - it won't do high gain AT ALL. It's a low-mid gain pedal. IMO, it won't even handle medium-gain punk sounds.

So what do you recommend for a pedal that can do blues/classic rock, but also can handle some high gain?

By the way, I also own the DOD250 od/preamp. I just need a od/dist pedal that is smoother and less fuzzy than the RAT that can stand on its own.

My Blues Junior's duty is just providing clean tone.

• Members

So what do you recommend for a pedal that can do blues/classic rock, but also can handle some high gain?

By the way, I also own the DOD250 od/preamp. I just need a od/dist pedal that is smoother and less fuzzy than the RAT that can stand on its own.

My Blues Junior's duty is just providing clean tone.

MI Audio Crunch Box could do the trick. What about a Jacques Fuseblower or something like the T-Rex Dr Swamp?

Archived