Turmoil Ring Modulator

cloudscapes

• Members

That'd be pretty awesome to have expression control over the filter. Also, how clean can it be? Anywhere near a Frequency Analyzer?

it's not clean at all. the samples on the first page are a good indication. the filter will help with the flexibility if you want a smoother sound, but ultimatelly it remains a transformer-based ringmod (not chip-based, like the frequency analyser) and those are pretty dirty by nature. sorry.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll definatelly post clips!

fine tune is pretty useful yeah, and easy to implement (no extra circuitry, just an extra pot and knob).

a part of me really really wants to do exp. control for the filter as well, it sounds quite awesome! I'm figuring out a way how I could do this easily at minimal cost and with the space I have inside the enclosure.

again, I would LIKe to have a few of these for sale sometime around summer, but I make no promises. I'm trying to release an album by then as well and that has higher priority. it will depend on time.

Is the filter pre or post ring modulation?.

I find post to be more effective and yep it helps to get a cleaner RM, doing arpegios it gives you this bell ring, wich it sounds awesome. If you got the space for exp control over the filter go for it, i'm doing something similar with a prototype of the android, so you could connect an LFO to control, FRQ, Filter and Mix, it sounds pretty insane running the 3 with the same lfo, like war of the worlds meets star wars type of sounds.

Congrats, the new version looks killer.

• Members

Personally I don't think I'd use the expression controls. I know a lot of people really dig them on ring mods though.

I'll buy one either way. I'd just hate to see the controls push your costs too high. I think if you could do it for $150 or so you'd really sell enough to make it worth your while

• Members
Is the filter pre or post ring modulation?.

I find post to be more effective and yep it helps to get a cleaner RM, doing arpegios it gives you this bell ring, wich it sounds awesome. If you got the space for exp control over the filter go for it, i'm doing something similar with a prototype of the android, so you could connect an LFO to control, FRQ, Filter and Mix, it sounds pretty insane running the 3 with the same lfo, like war of the worlds meets star wars type of sounds.

Congrats, the new version looks killer.

It's actually only going to be on the carrier signal, so it's really in "mid ring modulation". Describing it doesn't sound like much but it does add quite a bit! It doesn't sounds "quite" like a real filter but it really fatten's up the sound when you use the low-end of the oscillator.

the LFO control is a great idea, but I'll skip that. I know if I just keep adding features, I'll never get it done. ;) Good luck with the android! they sound really sweet!

• Members

@cloudscapes: When do you think you can ship this monsters?!

see my post a bit above "again, I would LIKe to have a few of these for sale sometime around summer, but I make no promises. I'm trying to release an album by then as well and that has higher priority. it will depend on time."

so hopefully summer, but realistically fall. so yeah, don't hold your breath! or I might be lucky and do a few in spring.

• 10 months later...
  • Members
Order placement info plz?

not for several weeks ;)

need to get a friend or two to test it for a couple weeks. then I gotta tweak it some more. then I gotta actually make them which is sure to taker a few added weeks.

I do this part time so it takes me a while

Archived