Stoner/Doom distortion

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd like to try one of those. For now i'm putting a big muff in front of a fender princeton and its not bad.

Oh man that setup sounds terrible.............LOL

Just joking around my man that has to sound like a dream!!!

You can NOT go wrong with a clean fender amp and a dirty pedal.

That combo gives you something to work with when you do not want the doom & gloom fuzz sound for sure :thu:

• Members

For a while, I had the SG in C with 14-58's with hot stock Gibson pups running into a Guv'Nor II > Maxon OD-820 > my Laney and V30's... that was doomy as hell and I didn't even have a fuzz on the board...

One of the guys from the sword uses a similar set up. Guild SG copy > Maxon OD-820 > the Laney

chunk with bite and clarity...

• Members

SG into a matamp=Doom. If you only have the budget for a pedal the D*A*M Meathead deluxe is the best I have owned. If your really on a tight budget the EH LBM is really hard to beat since it has a ton of gain and bass and is a pretty loose feeling pedal. The biggest part of getting that sound is down tuning and using really heavy strings though.

• Members

i believe the guy in doomriders uses a boss od3... when i saw sunn O)) not to long ago soma pedalboard contained:

-rat (old box)

-bluebeard fuzz

-ehx holy grail

-volume pedal Ernie ball

-and a small mxr pedal.... probably the dynacomp..

bass:

-a {censored}load of older dod pedals (the serie that included the grunge and buzzbox,etc)

• Members

Oh man that setup sounds terrible.............LOL

Just joking around my man that has to sound like a dream!!!

You can NOT go wrong with a clean fender amp and a dirty pedal.

That combo gives you something to work with when you do not want the doom & gloom fuzz sound for sure
:thu:

O it sounds great its just a little bit bright for doom

• Members

Princeton, tiny terror?!!!?!?!?!

IMO, 75% of the stoner metal sound is HUGE VOLUME AND CABS!!!!!

For example, listen to Sleep. There's not even that much gain going on, all the oomph is coming from huge powered amps turned up to insane levels. Less gain, more power tube distortion grunt :thu:

• Members

You would need an EQ pedal to boost the lowend and gain to get to Doom levels,

I think another EQ is far less important than an appropriate fuzz.

Heavy strings in C with a Les Paul (burstbucker 3, tony iommi) or a SG with P-90's into the Tiny Terror and appropriate playing (I suck) get you into the 70's instantly.

For (much) heavier stuff, I run the russian muff with the sustain and volume knobs at 12 o'clock, and the tone at 9 o'clock. The TT has the tone at around 1 o'clock, gain to max.

I was also able to get a very my dying bride-esque sound with the big muff into reverb, but with a lot less gain on the TT.

I also have a 10-band mxr eq, but have found little use for it getting doom sounds; I usually use it for special effects or for getting black/death metal tones together with the metal muff.

• Members

Someone mentionned the Rat, and it's pretty good for that, with the filter knob all the way up, it adds a lot of thick compression. Lots of volume, and distortion to taste!

Oh, and don't forget to tune down! I really like the drop-C tuning (tune all the strings one step down, and the 6th string one step more). Heavy gauge string isn't mandatory, since Iommi used very light gauge (because of his cut-off fingers) and it gave him a very sludgy sound.

• Members

I use a Subdecay Blackstar - dual gain structure - one serves as a kind of negative feedback control to get that hyper compressed blasting distortion.

sdbs_big.jpg

but it also does a pretty good job of just doing high decibel clean gain that allows your amp to distort its own preamps.

• Members

Cook the {censored} out of your power tubes, keep the amp gain low...think roaring not fizzy. Add some bluebeard (or most any muff style fuzz) and either keep your tone control down or play on the neck pickup. Dimarzio Super distortions don't hurt either. Your bass player is more to the overall tone than you'd think as well...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

almost anything with a huge clean amp and multiple fuzzes will do! just try to find the right combination of amp and effects to get your own tone... i use two fuzzes plus a meatbox which gives me the thickest sound ever :)

my setup:

guitar tuned to A - mxr bluebox - wooly mammoth - dod meatbox (-delays and reverbs) - into Fender Bassman with 215 cab,

wondering what this sounds like? www.myspace.com/machinistdrone

Archived