Does a delay pedal add reverb?

• Members

Think of reverb as thousands of delays coming to you from different directions all at once... sort of... For example, if you go into a huge empty cathedral and clap your hands, what you hear is the soundwaves bouncing all over the place as it makes its way back to your ear. In other words, reverb.

Or you can just read this: http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Reverb/

• Members

so if I use a delay pedal would that be all the reverb I need for recording etc??... unless I'm a reverb junkie.

that is what a reverb really is. In room reverb, when you play an instrument, the sound is bounced off the walls and ceilings. When the sound returns to your ears, there is a slight delay which adds some depth and fullness to the sum. Some delay pedals can do the reverb well, others can't. If you really want reverb, you should just get a dedicated reverb.

• Members

Reverb = clap your hands in a big, empty room.

Delay/echo = yell "hello!" into the Grand Canyon.

:D

Technically, they're the same thing - sound bouncing off something causing a slight delay. With reverb, the distance is shorter, so more reflections can get back to your ears - causing more depth.

Now, with a true echo, Although the sound still bounces back to you, only one soundwave hits your ears at a time, causing what seem to be individual repeats.

It's the same technical cause (soundwaves bouncing off an object), but because the applications are different, the end result is different.

In pedals, reverb tries to recreate various types of reverb, and delay pedals attempt to recreate echoes. However, you then get into digital and analog sounds. Analog, in which the echoes degrade in quality after each repeat, and straight digital, in which the repeats are kept crystal clear.

:wave:

Archived